Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 I need some help >

I need some help

Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

I need some help

Old 06-18-2008, 07:53 AM

Default I need some help

I am searching for a scope to put on my Ultra Mag. I don't have a bunch of $$$ to throw on it right now. I know everyone says put a $600 + scope but I just don't have that much cash floating around at the time. I would really like to get a 4-12 power or something very similar. Basically I want to stay between $200 -$300
I was thinking about the folllowing scopes.......

Millett TRS-1 4-16
Vortex Diamondback 4-12

any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated
Old 06-18-2008, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I need some help

Some others to consider: Sightron I and/or II (Big Sky is better yet but more costly), Burris Fullfield II, Nikon Buckmasters or the best (bar far IMO) the Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9 X 40. Great glass and tough for about $250.00. The Buckmasters isn't half bad...actually.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

3-12 Nikon Monarch

I agree though, spend the cash...., course once you spend $600, pretty soon you'll be wishing you spent $1200.

For a "cheap" scope I'd get a Nikon. The only leupolds I'd get I think are vx-iii and maybe the newer vx-7,

Old 06-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Might take a look at a Leupold Rifleman. I have the 3x9x50mm model in matte black, and it has not failed me yet.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:00 AM

I would suggest taking a look at the Nikon line. You will still need a quality scope or the scope will not hold the crosshairs in one place with your Ultra Mag.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with a 4x-16x-40mm like the nikon. Best all round scope-turn doen to 4x and ya have a close range rig,crank up to 16x for long range.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would take a 3x9x40 Monarch or Bushnell Elite 4200 over either of the scopes you have named. Glass quality and lens coatings are a lot more important than the little bit of magnification change you have with those two.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Go with a Leupold
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=170729
Old 06-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Typical Buck

The Vortex Diamonback would serve you well & is in your price range! Yes, I do sell them yet they are very tough & gurantteeed "Shock-Proof" to handle the larger calibers.
My son has one on his .204 he generally carries it on the floorboard of his jeep, he's not the most careful kid you ever met! (grin) (29) We were talking the other day & he was relating to me that he had taken it out after riding around with it in the floorboard for a couple of weeks & shot at some ground squirrels, he couldn't belive that the scope was still dead on at 250yds after all that bouncing around. The reason it came up was he had a Full View Burris Scope on it before the Diamondback, it was 199.00 & it wouldn't stay on target for the life of that thing no matter how careful he was. (that's not very careful either)

Thought I'd share that with you! I sent you a PM

ElkNut1