Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Vortex scopes >

Vortex scopes

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Vortex scopes

Old 05-21-2008, 10:07 AM

Default Vortex scopes

Anyone have any experiences good or bad with the Viper or Diamondback series of scopes made by Vortex Company
Old 05-29-2008, 04:58 PM

Default RE: Vortex scopes

Hi, I have not used a Vortex scope but am planning on purchasing one, Viper for me, my buddy a Diamondback.3.5 x 10 --50. Have two binos and a spotting scope. Way good, like the company and the warranty.

m30
Old 06-05-2008, 09:47 PM

mind me asking what your buddy has it sitting on and what are you putting yours on

Old 06-06-2008, 06:50 AM

Any input is good. I have a Rem 700 8mm Mag for the Viper

Buddy has a Rem 742 30-06. He does not want to spend as much so going for the diamond back

???
Old 06-09-2008, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

I both carry them & use them. We have the Diamondbacks on a .204--.17--7mag--they are from 3-9x40 to 4-12x40 These scopes are excellent quality & clear & bright & awesome in low light conditions!! I am adding the Viper scope to an older 30/06 I have now! The Diamonbacks are hard to beat at 179.00

ElkNut1
Old 06-09-2008, 10:13 PM

do you honestly think they would hold up to a 300 Ultra mag. I am not rich but need to get a scope for it soon.....
Old 06-10-2008, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

Of course they'd hold up to your 300 ultra, so would a Tasco! (grin) Like all Optics companies, they have a good line & a lesser line, it's all in what I guy wants & what he's willing to spend! In your case the Diamondback rifle scope is the lesser line, it's a step up on a Leupold VX-l & very equal to the VX-ll the Diamondback also has a bigger field of view at the same magnifications. All Vortex Scopes have an unlimited Life Time Warranty, that there shows their confidence in their products! There's nothing to fill out either to obtain this & it's a transferable warranty! Here's an individual like you that was checking them out & this is what he says!

[hr] Thanks to Elknut I was able to get my hands on a new Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 riflescope to compare with Leupolds VX-1. The Leupold is slightly more expensive at $200, where Elknut can sell a DB for $179.

Once I recieved the Vortex DB, I went to the closest Scheels and bought a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 to do a at home comparison of the two scopes.

First test- midday full sun. The Vortex scope had a larger eye relief. You could change the distance between your eye and the scope more and still see the entire field of view.

Second test- Field of view. The tech specs on the VX-1 say at 100 yards is 32.9 feet. The DB says 44.6 feet at 100 yards. Thats more than 35% larger field of view! I don't know about you, but when I'm hunting on foot, I have that scope turned all the way down to give me the largest sight picture possible to find that target quickly. 35% larger FOV just means the target your looking for should be that much easier to pick up. When we compared the two scopes it was obvious the tech specs where very close. The Vortex gave a much larger FOV than the VX-1. It didn't look like the magnafication was any less you just had a bigger picture through the Vortex.

Third test- Mid day full sun. Looking in the shadows of some pine trees the Vortex gave a larger brighter picture than the Leupold. We both agreed that the Vortex had a better view than the Leupold.

Forth test- Now this is the real test for better optics. Low light visibility. We took both scopes out after sunset. Found a object under a tree and compared how much detail we could pick out. Right after sunset we could barely see the object with bare eyes. Both scopes were able to see it clearly. A half hour later you couldn't even see the base of the tree but through the scopes you could tell there was something there. As it got darker the Vortex improved over the Leupold. The picture was brighter and easier to see detail on with the Vortex.

Now some simple facts about the two scopes. Leupold offers a great warrenty for the original purchaser. Vortex offers uncondtional warrenty thats transferable. So there is no warrenty registration card to send in. If its a Vortex optics its cover simple as that.

Second I forgot to metion. The price differences, Elknuts price includes shipping and taxes. I haven't found anywhere that offers that on the $200 Leupold. So take that into consideration and the pice difference increases by another 15-20 bucks!

You can guess what I did... I took back the Leupold to Scheels for a full refund and had Elknut charge my CC so I can keep the Vortex.

I would recommend anyone looking at buying a new scope for there guns to at least compare for yourself the Vortex line of optics.

ElkNut1
Old 06-10-2008, 09:37 PM

good comparison test and well written.....sounds likea sales pitch. It wasn't the optics that worried me, it is how well it would hold up but if Vortex stands behind it with no questions asked full life time warranty well that has me interested for sure.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Typical Buck

Ya, it's pretty well written for sure! That shows I couldn't have done it!! (grin) Here's the link to the Site where this guy (Matt) wrote it, he's some sort of doctor, a mite smarter than myself!! The Vortex line really are high quality!! Any way check out the link here!

http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpfo...forum.php?f=93

ElkNut1
Old 06-28-2008, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

where can I order the diamondback and get the best price on shipping and taxes??