Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 LH Tikka shell ejection issue with Scope >

LH Tikka shell ejection issue with Scope

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

LH Tikka shell ejection issue with Scope

Old 04-06-2008, 09:10 PM

Default LH Tikka shell ejection issue with Scope

Tried sighting in my newleft handed Tikka 300WSM and 5-20x44SF Nikon Monarch scope and now have an issue. Using the scope rings that came with the Tikka, I mounted the scope and took my first shot. When i went to eject the shell, it struck the side focus and stayed inside the rifle. I tried moving the scope as far forward and as far back as possible and still no luck getting the shell out. I also tried buying the Warne High scope rings and if i pull it slowly it falls out but a fast pull causes the same things.

Any suggestions here or am i looking at getting a new scope without the side focus?
Old 04-07-2008, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: LH Tikka shell ejection issue with Scope

Not sure of your intended game or ranges, but 20X at the top is way excessive IMO. I also don't care much for AO scopes on big game rifles. I'd look at a different scope (without AO). I'd investigate the 4200 Elites from Bushnell. A 3-9 X 40 is plenty for most situations, and is a great value pricewise. BTW, it's good to lose the supplied Tikka rings...they are junk.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

For a technical issue like this I would ask the question on the www.opticstalk.com/forum_topics.asp?fid=2
forum. There are a lot of optics professionals there that will be glad to try and help you with your problem.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

The fact that you used to different set of rings and heights means it is a scope issue. The rifle in question has a small ejection port andwith it being on the wrong side makes that focus problematic. I would mark the focus knob with lipstick and put it on smoothly and then see where the case is hitting. It might only be a few thousandsif you move the knobback or forth or in the worst case scenario. That fat 300 wsm case is not helping matters either.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:14 PM

THanks for the info. I used Warn rings but they get up to .55. I ordered some Talley rings today ex-high that get it up to .70 and ill see if that makes a difference. If that doesnt help then ill be looking for a different scope to hunt with for long range.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Personally I would just look for a different scope without the side focus, I am not much for mounting the scope up in the rafters. Seen it cause more problems then its worth. I do hope it works out for you though!
Old 04-07-2008, 09:31 PM

Any suggestions. I have a leupi 3x9 on my 30-06, and a nikon 5-20x44 on my tikka 270. Heard good things about bushnell, but not really looking to spend the money on a zeiss. Remember, can have the side focus.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

If it were me and I never had a home for the new scope that is causing the issueI'd sell it or trade it for one without the side focus.

The other option is scope swapping within your safe. Is the other 5x20 nikon a SF model? Is the other tikka a wsm or just a 270win? It maybe possible to swap these 2.

I am not much help in regards to which big game high mag variable you should get, b/c the most mag I have is 10x on my big game rifles.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Any suggestions. I have a leupi 3x9 on my 30-06, and a nikon 5-20x44 on my tikka 270. Heard good things about bushnell, but not really looking to spend the money on a zeiss. Remember, can have the side focus.

Bushnell 3-9x40 4200 Elite might be all the scope you need and it wil cost in the low 2's ..YOu don't need 20x for a 300 wsm..Highest I would go will be a 12 x but when you start in that range it will most likely have side parallax unless you find an older scope with the parallax ring mounted on the objective.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:50 PM

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

If it were me and I never had a home for the new scope that is causing the issueI'd sell it or trade it for one without the side focus.

The other option is scope swapping within your safe. Is the other 5x20 nikon a SF model? Is the other tikka a wsm or just a 270win? It maybe possible to swap these 2.

I am not much help in regards to which big game high mag variable you should get, b/c the most mag I have is 10x on my big game rifles.
The other Tikka is just a 270win so i am thinking theWSM shell being a bit stubby is causing some of the problem. I might put it up on higher rings and see what i get out of it, if not then trade or sell it for another model w/o the SF.

D@mn being a lefty.

Quick Reply: LH Tikka shell ejection issue with Scope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.