Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 simmons scopes >

simmons scopes

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

simmons scopes

Old 03-29-2008, 10:10 AM

Default simmons scopes

Anyone know about simmons higher end scopes.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: simmons scopes

I have had two of their higher end and still have one of them. I have the 10X 50mm on my 243. It is a good scope, but the glass is not comparible to Nikon, Leupold or others of that caliber. It is works well with the 100-200 yd hunting range that my wife hunts. I also had one on my 220, it was a 24X and it was anice scope for the price, I replaced it with a leupold just my preference as I was looking to air that gun out and I was able to do the upgrade. The higher end are Ok scopes, I have bought a couple of the lower end for a couple of 22's for squirrels, they weren't good at all. Took the first one back and got another one and it too wouldn't hold a zero. I don't use these anymore.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:07 PM

Thank you very much. I think i need to just spend the money and buy a leupold 3x9-40 vxll for my encore 25-06
Old 03-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just bought the Nikon Monarch, look at them very hard and compare them with the leupold. The glass in leupold is maybe a little better,I can't see it especially for the price difference.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:38 PM

ORIGINAL: oilpatchpride

I have had two of their higher end and still have one of them. I have the 10X 50mm on my 243. It is a good scope, but the glass is not comparible to Nikon, Leupold or others of that caliber. It is works well with the 100-200 yd hunting range that my wife hunts. I also had one on my 220, it was a 24X and it was anice scope for the price, I replaced it with a leupold just my preference as I was looking to air that gun out and I was able to do the upgrade.
You know I am pretty good at dishing out insults.
But to say that you put on - on your wifes gun - is about as bad as you can get.

My opinion always is - you get what you pay for!

I have a Simmons ATEC that is as good a scope as any Leupold Vari X I or II.

I put a Simmons 4 x 12 x 40 Pro Hunter scope on a Remington Gamemaster BDL De Luxe .270 Winchester, that I gave to my dad as a present - after he fell out of a treestand and bent the barrel on his 1956 - Remington Gamemaster .270 Winchester - with a Clearfield 3 x 9 x 40 scope that he swore was the greatest invention since sliced bread.

That little old $154 Pro Hunter scope was good enough at 200 yards to put two 140 Gr Sierra Spitzers in the same hole. Not occassionally - but all day long!

Both of my brothers has Leupold Vari X III scopes on their Remington Gamemaster 760 - 30/06's and both of them would sell their scopes in a heart beat if they could get out of them what they paid for them and both of them would replace their scopes with a Bushnell Elite 3200 - 5 x 15 scope. Just because that is what is on my Browning .300 Winchester Magnum - Pump Rifle!

Depending on what model of Leupold scope you buy, you might end up with one that has a poor "thin"crosshair / sight picture that sucks in real world hunting conditions.

Just because it say's LEUPOLD on it - doesn't mean that it is the best money can buy!

There are a great number of scope manufacturers out there todaythat makes scopes that puts the bestLEUPOLD'S to shame!

My daddy drove a 1955 Chevrolet - Bel Air and swears that it was the best car he ever owned.

Maybe to him, in 1955 - it was the best car he ever owned.

But today in 2008, I will beat that little old 265 V-8 motor's performance with most any full sized car made in the USA.
Plus, I have air conditioning, power windows, cruise control, tilt wheel steering, power steering, power brakes, disc brakes, a air filter that is made out of paper and only has to be changed every 35,000 miles - instead of a oil bath air cleaner. It has radial tires and even computers that makes everything work. Not like a 265 with a manual choke that you had to pull to get the car to start in the wintertime.

Just because something was the best 50 years ago, when you were a kid or your dad was a kid or your grand pa was a kid - doesn't mean that it is still the best today!
Old 03-30-2008, 06:19 AM

Oilpatchpride,I will look into the nikon. As far as the leupold I have had one before and like it ok. so we will see.Will write back and let you know what I got.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, Simmons and "higher end" don't relate. I consider them as entry level units.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ihave owned four Simmons scopes, all of them have ended up in the busted scope box within a very few years.Last one to go was a"high end" shotgun scope.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bushnell 4200 Elite 3x9x40for about $250 will be hard to beat.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

My experience with Simmons scopes has been dismal. I have owned 3 - "44 Magnum, White Tail Classic, Aetec". And a good buddy bought one of their so called "Aetec" long range target scopes. All but the "White Tail Classic" are gone. The problem he and I had was with the "guts" not being able to withstand usual recoil - 30.06 Spr., 308 Win. and 8 mm Rem. Mag. Simmons made good on replacing these ... and he and I sold them first chance we had !! None had even decent low light performance. But realistically, no low cost scope should be expected to hold edge to edge clarity in very low light, but I did expect these to withstand "normal" use. I will not recommend any Simmons optics.

If you are on a budget, but can save up for a while, go to a Zeiss Conquest. Excellent scope for the $$$.

Quick Reply: simmons scopes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.