HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - simmons scopes
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2008, 08:38 PM
The Rifleman

Default RE: simmons scopes

ORIGINAL: oilpatchpride

I have had two of their higher end and still have one of them. I have the 10X 50mm on my 243. It is a good scope, but the glass is not comparible to Nikon, Leupold or others of that caliber. It is works well with the 100-200 yd hunting range that my wife hunts. I also had one on my 220, it was a 24X and it was anice scope for the price, I replaced it with a leupold just my preference as I was looking to air that gun out and I was able to do the upgrade.
You know I am pretty good at dishing out insults.
But to say that you put on - on your wifes gun - is about as bad as you can get.

My opinion always is - you get what you pay for!

I have a Simmons ATEC that is as good a scope as any Leupold Vari X I or II.

I put a Simmons 4 x 12 x 40 Pro Hunter scope on a Remington Gamemaster BDL De Luxe .270 Winchester, that I gave to my dad as a present - after he fell out of a treestand and bent the barrel on his 1956 - Remington Gamemaster .270 Winchester - with a Clearfield 3 x 9 x 40 scope that he swore was the greatest invention since sliced bread.

That little old $154 Pro Hunter scope was good enough at 200 yards to put two 140 Gr Sierra Spitzers in the same hole. Not occassionally - but all day long!

Both of my brothers has Leupold Vari X III scopes on their Remington Gamemaster 760 - 30/06's and both of them would sell their scopes in a heart beat if they could get out of them what they paid for them and both of them would replace their scopes with a Bushnell Elite 3200 - 5 x 15 scope. Just because that is what is on my Browning .300 Winchester Magnum - Pump Rifle!

Depending on what model of Leupold scope you buy, you might end up with one that has a poor "thin"crosshair / sight picture that sucks in real world hunting conditions.

Just because it say's LEUPOLD on it - doesn't mean that it is the best money can buy!

There are a great number of scope manufacturers out there todaythat makes scopes that puts the bestLEUPOLD'S to shame!

My daddy drove a 1955 Chevrolet - Bel Air and swears that it was the best car he ever owned.

Maybe to him, in 1955 - it was the best car he ever owned.

But today in 2008, I will beat that little old 265 V-8 motor's performance with most any full sized car made in the USA.
Plus, I have air conditioning, power windows, cruise control, tilt wheel steering, power steering, power brakes, disc brakes, a air filter that is made out of paper and only has to be changed every 35,000 miles - instead of a oil bath air cleaner. It has radial tires and even computers that makes everything work. Not like a 265 with a manual choke that you had to pull to get the car to start in the wintertime.

Just because something was the best 50 years ago, when you were a kid or your dad was a kid or your grand pa was a kid - doesn't mean that it is still the best today!