Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Do you prefer an adjustable objective or not? >

Do you prefer an adjustable objective or not?

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Do you prefer an adjustable objective or not?

Old 02-15-2008, 10:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default Do you prefer an adjustable objective or not?

I am fixing to get into long range shooting, and my question is do adjustable objective give you a substantial advange? Im not competing or anything, just shooting for fun. I want an 800 yard gun, probably a .308, in the near future. I am also looking to top my AR-15 with a 4.5 x 14 scope, maybe a sightron I was looking at, but I would rather it not be AO unless you guys talk me into it. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you prefer an adjustable objective or not?

I haven’t seen to many long range scopes without the adj. obj. lens. As for me I’d rather not have an adjustable lens for my hunting rifle. One less thing to worry about...
Old 02-16-2008, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

For regular BG hunting, I don't like AO scopes. Just something else to fiddle with at the moment of truth. For dirt dogs or long range targeting, I would see them as beneficial.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:31 PM

Depends on what I'm doing, but for shooting where I have the time and know the exact distance I like them. They are even better for shooting at closer distances with higher power scopes.

Paul
Old 02-16-2008, 07:52 PM
bigcountry

For long range, I require AO. You get past 400 yards, very slight movement of your head, you can see your crosshairs move off your target.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

For my varmint rigs I like them, I range landmarks and if Something pops into view then I set for a preranged spot. Works for me. For a hunting rifle shots usually aren't that far to make a difference.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:47 PM

Only way to go if you ask me, even for your hunting rifles. I suggest keeping them on a lower power most of the time so you can see what you are shooting at close rnge if you jump a deer, or something else. Odds are, if you are at distance, and need to see something up closer, you will have the time to power up a higher magnification to see, and that the animal in question has not yet seen you either. Makes some shots safer in the sense that it will also allow you to know what you are shooting at in the lower light and the deer 2-3 or more feet in the edge of the woods.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

All my scopes have adjustable objectives..
And because your thinking of a scope in a magnification of 4.5-14 power and,in terms of long range shooting at 800yrds I highly suggest you get it..
Like Big Country said if you shoot long range its nice to have
because it focuses on the target and eliminates parallax..
But they are really not really required on quality scopes of 10 power or less and targets at400yrds and less.
Yes I say you are one that requires one and the question I'd be asking is weather you adjustable ring bell, or a side focus adjument turret..
Personally I'd go with the latter cause you don't have to take your eye of the target or move your head while focusing two very importantant things while adjusting for parralax...
Old 02-17-2008, 03:20 PM

I have not seen any true " long range " scopes without it. Although I set mine and leave them , as most of my shots are 200 yards and under, for long range 300 + yards, it is a necessary evil. I say that, because although as stated above it is just something else to have to mess with, it is necessary for long shots to get a true sight picture when using magnifications in the 14 - 20 range.

I don't think you would find a long range without it, but if you did I would still shy away from those scopes and get the adj. obj. scope for what you are wanting to do.

God Bless
Old 02-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

I do prefer adjustable objective scopes, especially the side focus models. You should consider these 2 things:
1. Magnification - AO becomes useful at about 12x for most long range shooting. At lower powers, our eye resolution just isn't good enough. On a 10x scope, IMHO, I don't really need AO. On a 40x scope, I would want it for all ranges of shooting.

2. Distance - My understanding is that at farther distances, the adjustment is very fine, but the error could matter more.I think the size of the error can be much greater at like 25 yards. That is why all airgun/22 target scopeshave AO and also whyshort range benchrest guys must have this feature. Of course, we are talking about holding groups under .1 MOA here. Not necessarily big game hunting.

So for big game hunting, I basically use rule 1 to decide if it is a needed feature.

Quick Reply: Do you prefer an adjustable objective or not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.