Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Difference between Mildot and BDC Scopes >

Difference between Mildot and BDC Scopes

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Difference between Mildot and BDC Scopes

Old 12-26-2007, 05:52 PM

Default Difference between Mildot and BDC Scopes

Can anybody explain the difference between a mildot and a BDC scope. I am trying to figure out which to go with. I am leaning toward the BDC recticle but I really don't have a good understanding of the mildot or how it works.

Thanks
Old 12-26-2007, 08:40 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Difference between Mildot and BDC Scopes

BDC is usually setup for ranges 100yards, 200yards, 300yards, 400yards, etc. And you have to go and find the power to set your scope too for those ranges. Where mildot is has dots that are spaced out. It is usually used to approximate distances by knowing various sizes of objects in conjunction with target turrets. But also can be used for drop, or wind or lead in a hurry where you don't have time to setup your drop with target turrets. But you need a mildot ballistic calculator to know the mil holdover. And its different for different guns, velocities, and even ballistic coefficients. For example with a 308 with .4 BC at 2700fps with gun sighted in at 100 yards, you want 3.4 mil holdover.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Difference between Mildot and BDC Scopes

there is really no differents because everyone i've talk to that bought a BDC say they are not spaced out right. any way you go ,you need to sight in at 100yds and put up a big target and shoot at different ranges to see what your gun does with the dots in the scope.the nikon BDC MUZZLELOADER is supposed to only work with 150gns of powder and 250grn bullets.