Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 ZEISS CONQEUST FOGGED UP ON ME >

ZEISS CONQEUST FOGGED UP ON ME

Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

ZEISS CONQEUST FOGGED UP ON ME

Old 12-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default ZEISS CONQEUST FOGGED UP ON ME

I have a 3.5x10x50 conqeust,it was nasty here in mich. yesterday with rain and icy snow so I left my lens cover on in tree stand to keep ice off the lens I got home took the gun out to dry it up and took the lens covers off and the eye piece was fogged up,my buddie has a VX-lll lupy and says he has put it through every kind of test he could and it never fogged up on him,I may have a leak in mine has any one had this problem with a zeiss,I was told it should not have fogged up..............Ted
Old 12-12-2007, 08:59 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: ZEISS CONQEUST FOGGED UP ON ME

Wipe it off, and see if it fogged on the inside. It can fog on the outside, if you take it from the cold to a warm house. But a definate no-no on the inside.

The purpose of the nitrogen purging is when you go from a warm house or car to a wet cold outside. Not vise versa.

I have owned a few, and over a dozen Vari-X, and I have had one Vari-X fog about 8 years ago. Sent it back to Leupold. It can happen. And if you own a scope long enough, it will happen sooner or later. No seal is perfect.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Fork Horn

Wow thats a releaf to hear,I was getting a little upset,the thing that does bother me is my buddie put his VX-lll in the freezer and took it out and it never fogged,and I know another guy who lost his in the river for two days in alaska and also his VX-lll did not fog either but that don't really concern me as long as it don't do it from my truck to the stand and who knows it may not have fogged up if I would have left the cover off the eye piece.......Ted
Old 12-12-2007, 09:30 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: bucksnortinted

Wow thats a releaf to hear,I was getting a little upset,the thing that does bother me is my buddie put his VX-lll in the freezer and took it out and it never fogged,and I know another guy who lost his in the river for two days in alaska and also his VX-lll did not fog either but that don't really concern me as long as it don't do it from my truck to the stand and who knows it may not have fogged up if I would have left the cover off the eye piece.......Ted
The freezer test is something I have done. Sometimes scope pass, sometimes not.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a 3.5x10x50 conqeust,it was nasty here in mich. yesterday with rain and icy snow so I left my lens cover on in tree stand to keep ice off the lens I got home took the gun out to dry it up and took the lens covers off and the eye piece was fogged up,my buddie has a VX-lll lupy and says he has put it through every kind of test he could and it never fogged up on him,I may have a leak in mine has any one had this problem with a zeiss,I was told it should not have fogged up..............Ted

Number 1 rule when hunting Cold Weather is to keep your mouth shut when you bring the scope up. If I had a dollar for everytime a Leupold fogged up in Cold weather by not following my own advice I would be a millionaire. The new Bushnell scopes with Rainguard will not fog up anywhere as badly. Wow I never put a Scope in the Freezer but have hunted in -20 degrees weather and no brand ever leaked

I know another guy who lost his in the river for two days in alaska and also his VX-lll did not fog either

Is that the guy that Leupolds advertisment was based on BTW how well did his rifle do?

function ResizeTextArea(){
// return;
var TextArea = document.getElementById("body1");
var sX = document.body.clientWidth;
var sY = document.body.clientHeight;
var sppp = 350;
if (TextArea){
TextArea.style.width = (sX-200>=450)? (sX-200) +'px' : '450px';
if (sY=300)? '270px': (sY-sppp

Old 12-13-2007, 07:12 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Number 1 rule when hunting Cold Weather is to keep your mouth shut when you bring the scope up. If I had a dollar for everytime a Leupold fogged up in Cold weather by not following my own advice I would be a millionaire. The new Bushnell scopes with Rainguard will not fog up anywhere as badly. Wow I never put a Scope in the Freezer but have hunted in -20 degrees weather and no brand ever leaked

I know another guy who lost his in the river for two days in alaska and also his VX-lll did not fog either

Is that the guy that Leupolds advertisment was based on BTW how well did his rifle do?

function ResizeTextArea(){
// return;
var TextArea = document.getElementById("body1");
var sX = document.body.clientWidth;
var sY = document.body.clientHeight;
var sppp = 350;
if (TextArea){
TextArea.style.width = (sX-200>=450)? (sX-200) +'px' : '450px';
if (sY=300)? '270px': (sY-sppp
Believe me, your conquest won't do any different. There is no magic ziess coats thiers with that helps it do any better. Same stuff we use, and Leupold uses. Same process and everything.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep your right. I think Sightron and Swaro now have some type of weather coating but not entirely sure about that. I have heard great things about Rainguard.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:39 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Yep your right. I think Sightron and Swaro now have some type of weather coating but not entirely sure about that. I have heard great things about Rainguard.
I have several 4200's and 3200s and can tell you, the rainguard seems to work. But both failed the freezer test. Both the outsides fogged up going from -10C to a 22C room. Both had rainguard. I think you even commented years ago, when I did that test, that its not exactly valid realistic. And I agreed. Now if the opposite happens, then there is trouble. Going from a 22C room to a -10C outside.

I don't think its indicatitive of a leak however.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I bought some Meopta 7x42 binos last year and Cabelas sells them as the Euro Hunter for a lot more. YOu should see the test they put them thru makes you want to laugh. It's on their website
Old 12-13-2007, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

well I'll tell ya it sure is a relief to hear these reports because I am very impressed with the quality of the glass on the conqeust and the fast eye relief that it has this is probally the clearest scope I've ever looked through especially at first or last light..........Ted

Quick Reply: ZEISS CONQEUST FOGGED UP ON ME

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.