Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

rangefinder

Old 10-26-2007, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: rangefinder

That was 2 other features about the 1500 was it runs off a 9v battery (best would be AA's but 9v not bad either) and it has 7x optical. Also, it has a bullseye mode that ranges the nearest reflection, and a brush feature that ranges the farthest object (like ranging a deer through some heavy brush). It also has the normal ranging as well. Oh, and a backlight is good for dawn or dusk, something most others don't have (but the Leica has the red LED so don't need a light).
Old 10-30-2007, 06:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Painted Horse

I bought the Nikon Monarch 800 when they first came out. The eye cup fell off the first season, the rubber on the top by the trigger button fell off pretty quick. It still works but I was frustrated at how easy parts fell off and got lost. Once the eye cup was gone it was hard to get the eye relief right.

I bought a Leica CF1200 this fall. It has MUCH better glass. The 7x glass is much muchclearer than looking through the Nikon. It ranges farther, Although 800 vs 1200 who cares, I'm not shooting anywhere near that distance. Leica battery life is 2000scans vs 600 to 1000 for most range finders. But the battery does cost more. It uses Lithium camera batteries vs AA or AAA

I like the scan mode on the Nikon. The Leica has a onepush of the button,one reading.

I've never had much problem with angle of shot with a rifle in reasonable distances. Bowhunters in Tree stands, or Sheep/Goat hunters on very steep cliff may find that an important feature. But the normal angles that I shoot Mule Deer and Eld at, it's not important to me.

I also have a nikon and i have had no problems so far the scan mode is very nice and it gives you a reading up to half a yard there are a lot of good range finders out there and its hard to pick the one that suits you i just went in the store tryed am all out. o ya an i think the price was around 250-300

Old 11-01-2007, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

I just bought Nikon 800 over Leuopold and Bushnell, cool so far
Old 11-01-2007, 12:38 PM

Bought a Nikon 440 2 years ago and I love it. At most normal bow ranges, the angle compensating is not a big deal. Usually it is + or - about 1 yard maybe 2 ..... not enough to worry about .... or at least for me to worry about after about 20 years of bowhunting.

The 440 was 199.00 in camo, and it ranges to 437 yards. It is accurate and does everything I need it to. Nothing wrong with the others out there ( for the most part ) , but $ for $ I got a great unit, and I can used the rest of the money for a new gun and scope.

Good luck

Old 11-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do something different and I'm wondering how many of yall also do this? When ranging a distance to another tree,I range to that tree but at my exact height-not to ground. That gives me true range and I learned to do that before they ever came out with angle compensating rangefinders.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

my Nikon 440 has been fine so far. my only complaint with it is thefurthest i could get it to range a deer sized animal was about 380 yards. i wish i would have bought the Nikon 800. i may not shoot over 380 yards but i would still like to know the distance.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a Bushnell Yardage Pro 450 Sport for $148 for use with bowhunting. It works great for what I need it for. I'll also be using it for ML hunting this year. Both will be for deer hunting. It has the built in rain / brush scan. This feature works okay, but could be a little better. All in all it is fine for my needs. I could see where a better one could come into play depending on the weather conditions. But hey, I bought another gun with the money I saved.

chris
Old 11-25-2007, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

So here's a question? I just bought a Nikon 1200 Monarch Gold, for Coyotes and Bowhunting, If I'm in my treestand and I range something that's 38yrds away and I'm apprx. 20' in the tree is the yardages that this is giving is it any less accurate than the Bushnell with ARC? Thisis a real world scernio that I just did,Iranged first before Ihad my rangefinder to a spot then I walked it at 37yrds so I thought that was pretty close, However this I quess does not take into consideration the 20'.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never tried any other brands. This is the first one i"ve own. The Bushnell will range anything past 4 yards very accurately. I can't speak for the Nikon. Maybe someone else will chime in again.

chris
Old 11-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

LEICA 1200 is the way to go ..either the old model or the new CRF., they are troublefree and if you ever decide to change to another one they hold their value.Nice to see that Leupold is making their RFs in China.

Quick Reply: rangefinder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.