Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 To illuminate or not to illuminate? >

To illuminate or not to illuminate?

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

To illuminate or not to illuminate?

Old 09-24-2007, 04:46 PM

Default To illuminate or not to illuminate?

I am about to purchase a Meopta Meostar in 3-12x56 for a Tikka T3. they have two of the same but one is illuminated. I have never hunted with one like that. What advantages & disadvantages does it offer? Is it annoying and obstruct the viewed shot? Worth an extra $150?
Here in SC we can hunt 1 hour after dark.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: To illuminate or not to illuminate?

I've never hunted with an illuminated scope, but the people that I know that have them aren't crazy about them. Two brothers I know, one has a Diavari 3x12x56 illuminated and his brother has the same scope with just #4 reticle. The one with the illuminated scope said if he had it to do over again he would get a scope like his brother, plain. If you have good glass you can see a reticle like the #4 as long as you can see the deer enough to shoot.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: To illuminate or not to illuminate?

I have found that with my Zeiss and Swarovski scopes with the reticle in the 1st plane, illuminated reticles are not really needed as stated above. The 4A and #8 are are good to use in low light.

I have a Leupold Mark 4 with a illuminated TMR reticle which works well due to it's excellent rheostat that can dim or brighten the reticle, beleive it or not it can be to bright where the contrast is to great and you can not see what you are aiming at due to the bright reticle.

It's one of those things where it's better to have it and not use it. It's really up to you in the end though.