Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

leupold or??? Zeiss Kahles?

Old 08-15-2007, 01:55 PM

Default leupold or??? Zeiss Kahles?

I am looking for a new scope for my 7MM. I was considering a leupold vx3 3.5x10x50 mm because everyone I know swares by them. After reading more online I am not so sure that these give the most bang for the buck. I cannot actually try any of these scopes outside of the store so I have to make sure that I make the right choice before I buy one and get stuck with it. ANy advice would be grreatly appreciated Thanks in advance!
Old 08-15-2007, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: leupold or??? Zeiss Kahles?

I have a few Leup. products as well as Nikon and I think the Nikon Monarch is betten than the Leup. VXII. Never looked through a VXIII. LAst year I compared these 3 scopes in the store. all 3x9 -40mm.

Leup. VXII
Nikon Monrach
Zeiss Conquest.

Leup and Nikon were a close tie, with the nikon being a little clearer. However, the Zeiss was noticable clearer. I think it's the best bang for the $$$ @ $399. However, the don't offer a BDC or boon & crocket reticle yet. If they did I would have bought it. I have the monarch on my Prohunter and a VXII on my .300 WSM. Had the VXII for 3 yrs. It's a great scope but there are better out there. The leup. machined scope covers are second to NO ONE!!!
Old 08-15-2007, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Leuppy VXIII are certainly good. Some folks feel they are overpriced for what you get. They may be, but they still work fine. Zeiss Conquests are very good too and probably a better value. Bushnell 4200 Elites and some Nikon's are also good values for a good products. If you want to step up a level, Kahles are great. The CL line is most impressive. At the top are the good Zeiss' and Swaros. I myself prefer Swaros. It's just what you want to spend. Quality optics aren't cheap. Check SWFA for specs and bargains on their sample list. Buy the best you can afford. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Good luck in your selection.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Deerpolice

I cannot actually try any of these scopes outside of the store so I have to make sure that I make the right choice before I buy one and get stuck with it....
The good news is, given your choices, it's doubtful you'll come away with a turd of a scope. Now, if you're looking at spending upwards of $400, the store ought not to have a problem with going outside with you to let your eyes decide which scope you like best.

If they won't oblige you, however, go to a window, & look out at the target you placed on the windshield of your vehicle, which you parked as far away from the store as possible in anticipation of testing the scopes. If you can go around sundown, so much the better!

Then, once you've selectedthe scope that YOU like best, GO BUY IT ONLINE! There's no reason to patronize a store that won't go the extra mile for theircustomers!

Let us know what you end up with!

FC
Old 08-15-2007, 05:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I was buying a scope in that price range,I would choose the 3x9x40 zeiss conquest.I find it brighter and clearer than a comparable VXIII,for the same price.It also offers a constant eye relief as you change the magnification,unlike the VXIII.I would also avoid the 50mm objective lenses as they require the scope to be mounted higher which can prevent a proper cheek position on the stock.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Conquest, then Elite 4200, then Monarch or Lupy III
Old 08-17-2007, 10:06 AM

I would take a look at Zeiss Conquest. They have interesting features and there glass is hands down clearer then 3200 elite and Monarch and Leupold. Kahles is a great idea too.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Of the 3,Zeiss would be my first choce...
Old 08-20-2007, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PaJack

Of the 3,Zeiss would be my first choce...
I have to agree, but you really won't go wrong either way.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Kirch
.......the Zeiss was noticable clearer. I think it's the best bang for the $$$ @ $399. However, the don't offer a BDC or boon & crocket reticle yet.
Actually, Zeiss does have areticle similar to the Boone& Crocket offered by Leupold. It's called the Rapid Z. Personally, however, for abig game rifle I think the standard Z-Plex is just fine.

Anyway, I second the notion of buying a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40. It'sthe best initsprice range IMHO. Furthermore, I'd buy it online to get the best price possible and to avoid having to pay sales tax.

Quick Reply: leupold or??? Zeiss Kahles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.