Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Need a good varmint scope................ >

Need a good varmint scope................

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Need a good varmint scope................

Old 07-01-2007, 04:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default Need a good varmint scope................

I'm looking for a decent variable for a older Sako pre-Fox .222 Not interested in the low end cheap glass[Tasco/Simmons]Something middle of the road but reliable at 300yards os so.Hunting coyotes,gophers and crows..................Any proven brands? Thanx Harold
Old 07-02-2007, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Need a good varmint scope................

Check out the Zeiss conquest series, such as 4.5-14x44 or 6.5-20x50 should work just fine...
Old 07-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

2007 model Bushnell Elite 4200 6x24x40..
Perfect scope for targets and varmits...

Old 07-02-2007, 11:09 AM
Fork Horn

I've been pleased with my Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 w/ side focus.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

i just had this decision.

thought about all the others...but in the end went with a Leupold VX-II 6-18x40 AOT with a fine duplex. picked that because it has more adjustment than any other scope in my price range...for 550 or so i could had a 8-32 burris sig select...but only 22" of adjustment....could work...but if i used up adjustment when zeroing the rifle i wouldnt have anything left to click into range in the field.

alot of guys like the bullet drop compensating dots and mildots etc...to me, they seem to cover too much of a varmint when they are way out there...thats why i went fine duplex and target knobs to click in the range...

the leupold is crystal clear even on 18x on a hot sunny day. no distortion or paralax or anything. tracks true and well. if i go 3clicks up and fire and 3clicks down im back at my zero. alot of scopes wont do that reliably...ive seen scopes that didnt even adjust near what they said they should adjust...

im happy with my leupold...300yds youll be fine with 18x. i been head shooting groundhogs out to 200 with mine(i get a bit cocky like that lol..) figured that was a good scope for me...the next varmint gun will be a custom and will get bigger, better glass...but till i push 500yds the leupold aughta work just fine....
Old 07-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been a die-hard Leupold fan for years. You just have a real hard time beating the quality and reliability for the money. Lots of others compare their scopes to the Leupolds. Guess why? The Vari-XII's have been out there providing great service for years now. If you want to save a buck, look around for a used one. I believe the guarantee on those scopes is lifetime, regardless of owner. Just like everything else in the gun-related fields, prices are going up. I used to buy a used Leupy for $100 not too many years ago. The last one I bought was approaching twice that amount.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:47 PM

Leupold VX-II 6-18x40good product good prices good quality. What more can a man say?
Old 07-10-2007, 02:12 PM

I have a cabelas Alaskan guide model in 6-20x44 with adjustable objective and mil dot reticle. Cost around 400 bucks for the scope and quick detach mounts. I am pretty happy with it. I compared it with some other scopes including a lower end Leupold for about 100 bucks more and liked the Alaskan guide series better. I live near a cabelas though so it makes it a bit easier.

I think it's made for them by Nikon. I looked at several scopes and there were some Nikons that looked very similar.

All the others mentioned are good as well. If you could afford it in my opinion the Zeiss would be the best bang for the buck.

Paul
Old 07-10-2007, 02:25 PM

Check Burris - good quality at good price.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Right now I have Leupold glass on 3 varmint guns,next one I buy will be a Zeiss Conquest...

Quick Reply: Need a good varmint scope................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.