Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40 >

Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40

Old 06-14-2007, 09:52 PM

Default Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40

What are your guys thoughts on this scope?? How does the side focus work? I was wondering because I might invest in this scope to top off my Savage 116 in .270.
Thanks,
Righty
Old 06-15-2007, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40

I really don't know anything about the quality of the Nikon Buckmaster...
Except,I can give you this advice,if its made in China stay away from it....[:'(]
I'm more curious as to why you want something like this 4.5x14x40mm on your .270..
I'm guessing this gun/scope combo won't be used on varmits.....
But if it is, I'd still recommend a different scope size and power..
First off (for me personally)The lowest mag setting is a little on the high side for shooting biggame at close range..
Alot of people don't mind it, (they have theirs set on anywhere from 4x to 6 power) but there is alot of advantages on having a smaller magnifiaction than the one your asking about on your scpoe..
The most obvious one, field of view...I can see the reaction of the animal if I hit it,
and I can see the the dustoff in front behind to the side if I was to ever miss.......
I also like the fact that I can can see twigs and branches that otherwise would be obstructed right out of view with a higher power mag scope.....
As you turn up the mag, the image will be bigger but and it will also become noticeably dimmer once you exced the 5mm exit pupil..
With a 40mm objective lens, theoritically this will be at 8 power give or take...
This 8 power mag is maybe (it varies from 6X to 10X )what you'd want for shooting big game out to 500 yrds but basically anything past 10 power will not be used at all with a 40mmit just won't be bright enough to make an ethical shot at long range...
Not to mention good luck even finding the target at close range....
There are better alternitive scopes to choose from.....
If you want to stay with the 40mm lens.......
I personally choose a variable mag a litttle smaller ,something like 3x9x40mm or 2.5x10 x40mm my personal favorite 1.5x6......
If higher Magnification (eg. 12 -14X)is what you want, go with a scope that has a bigger objective lens..

Old 06-15-2007, 12:05 PM

This scope will be used for big game/ and a little varmit here and there.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well if its mainly big game with a little varmit shooting here and there I'd go with a 2.5 x 10....
Next I just hope the buckmaster series holds its zero throughout all the ranges of magnification out to your maximum shooting abilities...

Old 06-16-2007, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

For the price of the buckmaster scopes I don't think you can beat them.They are not made in china,they are made at the same place the reg nikons are according to whats on the scope.I have 8 of them last count,3x9,4x14,6x18,and all of them work and work well.
You don't need a high power than a 3x9 but I shoot a lot of target and don't like to change scopes back and forth.I haven't had a problem shooting deer at close range or out to around 500 yds with the 6x18.
Have used the 4x14 mil-dot on a muzzleloader and leaving it on 6 power I am on at 1,2 and 300 yds.The only one I have that is new with the side focus is a 6x18,and like the side focus so far.The older 4x14 mill dot has the 1/2 mill dots and I really like that.
I have other scopes too,lepould,burris and weaver target,but still like the buckmasters and of course the reg nikons.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

I just put one on my Encore 25-06 and it is awesome. The side focus seems to work very well and makes adjustment quite easy. I chose the 4.5-14x40 because I hunt the wide open mountains of southern Idaho for muley's and speedgoat's so I use the higher magnifications very often. It all depends on what you prefer and the terrain you hunt. You won't be disapointed with the quality of the Nikons though. BTW- I bought mine brand new on ebay for $190. Hope this helps. Brett
Old 06-18-2007, 01:37 PM

I have Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40 there built for wide open places. The side focus works excellent it makes hunting so much simple. I really think its worth the investment. Good luck man hope we helped out enough.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:56 PM

Ya I beleive it did, I only wish it was this simple with rings.
Righty
Old 06-20-2007, 07:34 AM

I own 4 Nikons, among several others. 2 are 3 x 9 x 40's, 1 - 4 x 12 x 50, 1 - 4.5 x 14 x 40 silver / side focus ( exactly what you are asking about ). They are excellent scopes. You will not beat their quality for the money, PERIOD. They hold their zero as well as any scope made. I have 2 Nikons that I have been using for 16 years, and they have not shifted yet. The 4.5 x 14 x40 is a great choice for anyone who needs moderately low magnification, but still wants to be able to turn up the magnification to see fine details at range. I have that particular scope on a Ruger M77 Compact .243. The 4 x 12 x 50 is on a Ruger M77 Stainless / SYn. .308. One 3 x 9 x 40 is on a Browning A-bolt medallion w/ Boss in .270 , and the other is on a Remington 7600 semi auto carbine in 30-06. The scope is smooth in its power range changes, and its design is very pleasing to the eye.

You can pay a lot more and get yourself a zeiss, or Leupold. I am not saying they are better, or that they are worth it. I am just saying you can do it if you want to , and pay a lot more money, but they will not serve you any better than the Nikons will.

And yes, I am about to buy 2 more scopes. One for a Ruger Super Redhawk in .480 Ruger, and one for a Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08. They will both be Nikons if at all possible. They only exception will be if I need the posi-loc feature, for the handgun, that Burris offers on their handgun scopes. The other will definitely be a buckmasters or Monarch, depending on the prices of the Monarch line when they are available with side foucs, later this month, form the place I buy which is...... http://theopticzone.com/scopes.aspx .

I hope i have helped you. All you need to do is try one, and you will buy more in the future, and save yourself some money in the process. I used to work, 25 years ago, as a photographer and I am familiar with Nikon quality. I was impressed with their products then and I still am now. They are QUALITY.

Good Luck and God bless.

As far as rings and bases. Go with Leupold 2 piece rings and bases.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:49 PM

Funny you should ask. Ijust put one one my savage model 116 270 wsm less than 2 hours ago.I am totaly happy with it so far ,but Illbe takeing to the range this weekend.I HAVE HAD ALOT OF DIFFERANT SCOPES.From tasco to weavers and a couple of redfeilds.Wow what a differance, buy far the clearest and sharpest image in a scope that I have owned.I bought mine off the internet from a store call scopes n more, best price I found.Good luck

Quick Reply: Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.