Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 EL vs SlC & Ultravid vs Trinovid >

EL vs SlC & Ultravid vs Trinovid

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

EL vs SlC & Ultravid vs Trinovid

Old 04-16-2007, 03:28 PM

Default EL vs SlC & Ultravid vs Trinovid

I'm making the investment in some top of the line binos in the 10x42. I know there's weight consideration, but is the glass better in the more expensive sworo and leica? Is it worth the extra $500 for the more expensive models?
Old 04-18-2007, 06:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: EL vs SlC & Ultravid vs Trinovid

You might as well throw in the Zeiss FL and the Nikon Premier LXL into the list too if you are going to consider all of the high end roof prism glasses available.

If you are asking about the differences between the EL as compared to the SLC and the Ultravid versus the Trinovid then, yes, there definitely are differences but it is not necessarily just in the type of glass. The Ultravid, in particular, utilizes basically the same optical system as the Trinovid. The difference, optically, lies in the prism coating. The Ultravid utilizes the Hi-Lux prism coating resulting in a higher light transmission figure. The Ultravid is also lighter by a few ounces and much more ergonomic for most folks. Still, considering you can now find the 10x42 Trinovid at or just a hair above the $1000 mark it is difficult to equate the increased price based on the slight increase in brightness and better ergonomics.

The SLC versus EL comparison is also similar. The EL was able to boast more current coatings on the prism and better ergonomics in comparison to the older SLC version. Now the SLC New has the same prism and lens coatings so the difference really boils down to ergonomics. There may be a slight difference optically, in some sense, but I had a difficult time determining in when comparing them recently.

I am sort of in the same boat as you right now. I just picked up a Ultravid and an FL and I am in the process of evaluating them. One has to go back but I have not figured out which one yet. They are both such superb pieces of glass.