Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 crosshairs really drive me crazy >

crosshairs really drive me crazy

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

crosshairs really drive me crazy

Old 10-17-2006, 05:51 PM

Default crosshairs really drive me crazy

trying to get and keep the vertical hairs vertical and the horizontal hairs horizontal. has become an obsession that drives me crazy, to some it may sound a bit extreme but to me its a problem that in my opinion is very annoying. i would love to see scope manufactures incorporate adjustments on the scope that would allow you to adjust the crosshairs without having to loosen the rings. everytime i get the hairs close to where i can live with them i go and tighten the rings it moves the hairs wacky again. i really do not know why manufacturers have not made such a means of adjustment for them it would be a minor task. that would make us scope perfectionists very happy. i realize there are gidgets and gadgets out there that claim to help solve this problem but thats aall they are is gidgets and gadgets and nothing more....
Old 10-17-2006, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: crosshairs really drive me crazy

How do you tighten your scope into place. Do you tighten them a little at a time alternating the screws? I’ve never really had that problem and I’m also finicky when it comes to cross hairs being just so...
Old 10-17-2006, 07:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

What kind of scope? You should be able to aline the crosshairs then tighten the screws alternating the screws a little at a time till they are snug. You shouldn't need to aline them but one time, when you mount the scope.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like your using thoseold stylesheet metal weavers with the two screws on the one side. Those are the only rings that ever did that to me. When you screw down the clamps they seem to give a little clockwise twist to the scope since they only tightenfrom the right side. Only thing is to plan for that twist and leave them just off kilter a hair and let the twist work for you. Best bet is to simply get new rings that tighten down equally on both sides so there is no twisting and leave your scopes as you intended them. There's a reason why those rings are the cheapest you can buy. Good luck.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:12 PM

ORIGINAL: hunterjoe0000

trying to get and keep the vertical hairs vertical and the horizontal hairs horizontal. has become an obsession that drives me crazy, to some it may sound a bit extreme but to me its a problem that in my opinion is very annoying. i really do not know why manufacturers have not made such a means of adjustment for them it would be a minor task. that would make us scope perfectionists very happy.
A little paxil will take the edge off of your worries.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like your using thoseold stylesheet metal weavers with the two screws on the one side. Those are the only rings that ever did that to me. When you screw down the clamps they seem to give a little clockwise twist to the scope since they only tightenfrom the right side.
That is the main reason that I won't use weaver rings.