Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > IBO > Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting
 What class should I shoot??? >

What class should I shoot???

Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

What class should I shoot???

Old 02-14-2005, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default What class should I shoot???

I'm new at 3-d and I'm unsure which class I should shoot.
Here is my equipment:
Fixed Pin
release
no stabalizer
60 pound bow
2314 alum. arrows

Is this enough info or do you need more to telll me which class I need to shoot.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:15 PM

Default RE: What class should I shoot???

I'm sure that you are familiar with the many opinions from people on and of the forum that you may receieve.
My best suggestion would be for you to go to the Rules page and go to the Rules defined and after reading the classes that you think that you may be elligable for you choose one that suits you. You may want to change your equipment in some way to conform to one of the classes you will read about, or you may fit in one or more of the classes listed.
Good luck and remember HAVE FUN.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

As a beginner shooting the setup you described my suggestion would be to shoot in the hunter class. All shots will be approx. 35 yards or less. After you get your feet wet you may want to step up to MBR class which has a maximum distance of approx. 45 yards. I would also take Fasstfletch's advice and go to the IBO's web site and familiarize yourself with the different classes. Have fun!
Old 02-14-2005, 05:21 PM

I think fastfletch has given you some good advice. Your equipment fits into several classes. The Hunter Class was made for bowhunters that want to get into 3-d. It has a 35yd (approx) max shot. You cant have more than 4 fixed pins you cant have vanes or feathers less than 4inches long and your stabilizer has to be less than 12inches. Most people that are just starting in 3-d shoot this class because if you mis judge the yardage you will still probably hit the target and not lose so many arrows. This is not offical but most Hunter Class ranges at the IBO shoots are about a 28yd average over 40 targets. This sounds easy but this in my opinion is the most competetive class. The close shots leave no room for error. My advice is go to a range around your home and find out what classes shoot from what stakes. Shoot the range from the different stakes and witch ever one you have the most fun at, set your bow up for that class. You may want to get a stabilizer it will help you with your form and keep your bow steady during the shot. If you deceide you like 3-d you may want to shoot a lighter arrow. But dont go out and spend a bunch of money trying out equipment. The majority of the shooters shoot a lot of the same equipment and most of them have (like me) bought sights ,arrows,rests and other gadgets just because they thought it would give them some points on the range. There is some eguipment that will work better than others but it depends on the shooter. If you decide to get into it a little more ask questions on this forum about eguipment ideas most people will help you and try to keep you from wasting your money. Good luck.