Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > IBO > Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting
 Hunter Class Speed Limit??? >

Hunter Class Speed Limit???

Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

Hunter Class Speed Limit???

Old 06-08-2004, 05:44 AM

Default Hunter Class Speed Limit???

I was curious if there has ever been any consideration by the I.B.O. to put a speed limit on the Hunter Class. There are several shooters in this class that push the limits and I thought this might put everyone on a little closer playing field. Especially the beginners in this class. It also might encourage some of the long timers in HC to move up. I'm not trying to stir anything up, just curious???

Also, I realize the speed limit is 280 fps, but I was thinking of something lower for that class???
Old 06-08-2004, 06:56 AM

Default RE: Hunter Class Speed Limit???

Performance limits will do very little to actually limit anything, other than equipment itself.
The same shooterts are on top ,regardless of limits.
We are looking at the HC's,constantly. I do not know at this point when or if the Board will adjust these classes,again.
I do know it seems pretty rough when a shooter hits a 399 and lands in 115th in a class.
Not at all what we had in mind when the class was developed.
The concern is the level of skill, not performance.
ken12
Old 06-08-2004, 09:57 AM

i know the hunter class was developed for the new/less advanced shooter, and ken is right, a 399 and 115th place is a little hard to swallow........i like the idea of a hunter class, but maybe this one needs to be broken down a bit, and allow some of the NEW shooters a look at the top.

what we experience on local club ranges is if the ibo allows us to shoot in the class, we will shoot in that class at home......point being this.....those same shooters who shoot in the ibo class, participate at the local shoots, and whip the tar out of the guy with the quiver mounted on the side of his bow, and usually makes that guy a little unhappy. at that point he has two choices........develop his skills to a level of competition he needs to get too to win, or maintain his current level, and quit shooting due to frustration. i myself when i started shooting 3d if you were a male over the age of 18 you shot the orange stake, and took your lumps. now we have catered to all shooters in an attempt to make everyone competitive, and have in my opinion exceeded that greatly in the hunter class for a select few shooters, or at least 115 of them. i think a point system should be put in place to segregate the shooters a little.....you will have the same participation, just adding another level to the class, no need for additional ranges, just a little rule change....i shoot in the mbo, so i dont have a dog in the fight, but i also see the future of archery in the hands of the hunter class, and with the national archery in schools program...if these two fail, the sport we love so much will not have a very bright future.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:08 AM

j shoot, i agree with ken that putting a speed limit in place will not change much, the scores may fall a little, but will do it proportionately across the field. the guy who got beat by 20 points will still get beat by 20 points, but will shoot a lower score himself in all likelyhood.....speed is not the major key to 3d archery anyway, yardage judging and being able to hit what you aim at is much more important than speed....expecially at closer yardages. to make a real impact you would have to decrease speeds greatly to around 250 fps....even shooting a bow at 280 fps you can have a yardage mistake of 4 yards and still be in the kill of a large alert deer at 33 yards...and almost a 2 yard mistake will still get you into the 11 ring. these numbers come from the archers advantage program....if you have it take a look....it is a very educational tool
Old 06-09-2004, 05:19 AM

Let me further explain, first off I shoot MBR and very competitivly. I shoot all across Texas so I hear many different opinions, whether good or bad. The only thing I was wondering if some more limits were put on HC that some of the guys with those better skills might be inclined to move up. I know skill level will be affected throughout the entire range of shooters, I'm just trying to figure out a way to motivate or entice some of these guys to move up. A point system may be the answer, I don't know, but I really feel like it needs some attention. I agree that this is the largest class and if we don't try and keep it fair we will loose interest with those who take it for what it is called
"Hunter Class." I know there's no easy fix and I also realize we will never make "everybody" happy, but it is important to take notice and respond.

Thanks,
J. Shoot
Old 06-09-2004, 08:01 PM

just maybe the reason the hunter class is the biggest is because the majority of the shooters don't want to shoot the longer yardage?
Old 06-10-2004, 12:28 AM

WELL, I DO SHOOT THE HUNTER CLASS, I WON'T BE MAKING IT TO ALMOST ALL THE SHOOTS THIS YEAR, THE INDOOR WORLD WAS THE LAST I SHOT AT A 3-D ANIMAL, BUT I WILL BE AT NELSONVILLE. SO MAYBE I CAN ADD A LITTLE PERSPECTIVE TO THIS CONVERSATION. I USED TO SHOOT WHEN EVERYONE SHOT FROM THE SAME STAKE ALSO, BUT GOT BUSY WITH OTHER THINGS AND GAVE IT UP FOR SEVERAL YEARS UNTIL JUST THIS PAST 2 YEARS. NOW I HAVE HEARD EVERYONE TALKING ABOUT HOW THE HC IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE COMPETATIVE, HOW IT IS A BEGINNERS CLASS, A NOVICE IF YOU WILL. GENTLEMEN, I HAVE BEEN SHOOTING A BOW SINCE AGE 6. IF ANY OF YOU THINK THIS CLASS IS NOT COMPETATIVE, COME ON DOWN. NOW I DONT POST THE BIG SCORES LIKE SOME OF THOSE GUYS DO, BUT WHEN THE TOP TWENTY ARE SEPARATED BY ONLY A FEW POINTS, YOU HAD BETTER HAVE THE X COUNT. ONE THING I THINK WILL STOP ANY COMPLAINING IS HAVE A HC AND FHC, AND ALSO A NCHC, I MEAN A NON-COMPETATIVE HC, THIS COULD INCLUDE BOTH THE SHOOTERS IN HC AND FHC--TOGETHER, IN ONE CLASS, WHO CHOOSE NOT TO SHOOT TO WIN OR FOR THE FAME AND FORTUNE (I HAVE MADE SO MUCH MONEY DOING THIS IT JUST AINT FUNNY). THAT WAY THOSE WHO ARE EX-PROS (I DONT THINK THERE ARE ANY IN THE HC, BUT ANYWAY) WHO SAY THEY JUST SHOOT FOR THE FUN OF IT NOW, BUT SEEM TO WHIP EVERYONE COMING AND GOING, CAN SHOOT IN, YOU GET FORTY TARGETS--THE SAME FORTY AS HC AND FHC--SAME RANGES, AND YOU CAN COMPARE YOUR SCORES TO YOUR BUDDIES, BUT YOU ALREADY KNOW YOU CANT WIN ANYTHING.

NOW THIS WILL HELP THE ARCHERY COMMUNITY OUT. JUST LISTEN HERE. FOR THIS CLASS, YOU DECREASE THE ENTRY FEE, THAT WAY SOMEONE CAN GET A FEEL FOR IT WITHOUT BEING HIT WITH LARGE FEES, NOT THAT THEY ARE NOW (ONLY $30 FOR HC). HERE'S THE KICKER, NO MEMBERSHIP REQUIRED. TAKE IT EASY BOARD MEMBERS, NICE DEEP BREATH NOW,------------OK. THE WORST THING THAT HAPPENED, IN MY OWN OPINION, WAS REQUIRING MEMBERSHIP IN ORDER TO SHOOT IN NATIONAL LEVEL SHOOTS (I UNDERSTAND IT, DONT NECESSARILY LIKE IT). NOW THE GUYS LIKE ME, WHO LIKE TO SHOOT, AND THE ONES WHO ACTUALLY HAVE A CHANCE AT WINNING (GUYS NOT LIKE ME), DONT MIND IT. BUT, JUST TONIGHT, I ASKED A GUY AT WORK WHO WANTS ME TO SHOT SOME 3-D WITH HIM, IF HE WAS GOING TO SHOOT AT NELSONVILLE, HE SAID HE THOUGHT HE MIGHT, UNTIL HE HEARD YOU HAD TO BE A MEMBER TO SHOOT JUST ONE SHOOT, NOW I KNOW THE OLD STORY OF WHERE YOUR MONEYS GOING AND BLAH, BLAH, BLAH TY BLAH. I KNOW, I UNDERSTAND, I DONT MIND IT, I EVEN SIGNED UP MY WIFE WHO ALSO LIKES TO SHOOT. BUT FOR GUYS WHO JUST HUNT RIGHT NOW, THEY MAY NEVER GET HOOKED ON THIS SPORT LIKE WE ARE, ISNT IT GREAT, DONT YOU WANT OTHERS TO SPEND AS MUCH MONEY ON STUFF AS YOU DO. NOW THIS GUY WOULD BE OK WITH THE ENTRY FEE, BUT DOESNT KNOW IF HE WANTS TO BE A MEMBER, AND HE PROBABLY DOESNT WANT TO BECOME A MEMBER AT A SHOOT BECAUSE HE FEELS LIKE HE IS GETTING JACKED. SOLUTION!!! MAKE A CLASS THAT IS JUST FOR HIM, ANY EQUIPMENT, ANY AGE, ANY SEX, NO MEMBERSHIP REQUIRED, DECREASED ENTRY FEES, NAME LISTED ON THE WEBSITE, AND NO TYPE OF AWARDS. THIS JUST MIGHT GET A FEW MORE PEOPLE SHOWING UP. SORRY TO BE LONG WINDED, BUT I JUST COULDNT HELP MYSELF.

THANKS FOR LISTENING, BUT SERIOUSLY, THOSE OF YOU WHO DONT DIE OF EXHAUSTION BY THE TIME YOU GET TO THE END OF THIS POST, LET ME KNOW, AND EVERYONE ELSE KNOW, WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT MY SUGGESTION. THANKS AGAIN BUTCH.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:00 PM

I think the easy way to fix the hunter class is to make a shooter move up to MBR if they win a triple crown or a world event. I shoot MBR and I see alot of guys who should be shooting MBR that shoot HC.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:49 AM

Hello guys.
The guys shooting well in hunter class most likely shoot five spots all the time ,and shoot all the time . Adam Gibson for instance will most likely move up after nelsonville i have that feeling. I shot Hc for only a little bit then moved back to MBR .I see the point shooting good scores 400 and more and being 115th.
HC is now like shooting for a spot indoors.Good x's shooters are taken add vantage of dropping an 8 or five ,and that extra point .You just have to practice practice practice.
fast speed is for those who can not judge yardage.But for those that can judge yardage speed does not make much difference.
I have the will to WIN my class if that takes more practice so be it.I have a 412 in me ,or better for MBR. The new comers need to set a higher goal to compete it looks like for HC class .It wiil make them more prefishent in the deer hunting woods anyway and thats what IBO is about BOWHUNTING.

This is not intended for arguement just an expression of my opinion.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:37 PM

i shoot the HC class and i like it. i shot a 410 at P.A and was in the top 5 for about 15 minutes!!! i brought this same question up about moving shooters up last year on this forum and it wasnt received very well. the only way to do this is to take the top 5 in the triple crown give them awards for 1st through 5th and move them out of the HC. or have a points system if you shoot over a certain amount in a year you get moved out. in my opinion the HC gets no respect. hey its only 35yds anybody could do it.YEAH RIGHT!!! the guys in the HC are very aucract the ones at the top are not shooting for the 10 they are shooting for the 11 and they are judging the targets with in a half a yard. the guy that one bedford in 03 won the MBR class at P.A in 04. also the guy that won bedford in 04 shot in the best of the best shoot of in P.A in front of about 300 people and finished 2nd to a senior pro. these guys can shoot and this HC deserves some more respect and recognition. the HC is doing what it is supposed to it is making people shoot better and giving then confidence. it just needs to be policed by the IBO a little better. you can look at the names of the people in the past triple crown and world shoots and alot of the names in the top 5 are the same. these guys arent going to move out of this class because they havent reached their goals yet. someone is going to have to move them.

Quick Reply: Hunter Class Speed Limit???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.