Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > IBO > Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting
 Sponsorships in Hunter Class ?? >

Sponsorships in Hunter Class ??

Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

Sponsorships in Hunter Class ??

Old 03-02-2004, 10:37 AM

Default Sponsorships in Hunter Class ??

How can anyone that lists a half dozen PRO STAFF sponsorships on their resume shoot HC ? Do they just give these out to anyone or do you have to be able to shoot a bow ? Maybe be related to the owners of the company ? It is people that show up with so many sponsors on their shirts that they look like billboards that keep the common bowhunter from competing. They feel intimidated and feel they don't have a chance in h**l of doing well. This could easily be lumped in with the sandbagging issue going on in another thread. If you have all the bells and whistles and can shoot well enough to DESERVE these sponsorships, then shoot with others of your ability. I see this all over in every organization out there and even locally. It is a real shame that some fine bowhunters won't try going to any shoots cause they are tired of getting their butts kicked by a walking billboard ! JMHO
Old 03-02-2004, 11:45 AM
BOS

Default RE: Sponsorships in Hunter Class ??

PaProud, I thought the same thing when I first read that post. But what you have to realize is that there are various levels of sponsorship. Not all are based on shooting ability, some are based on helping out the average shooters and having them be good ambassadors of archery. So we need to be careful not to label sponsored shooters. One great example is T.R.U Ball they have great opportunities for all levels of shooters, and I am sure there are plenty more out there. I also know of non sponsered archers that wear more advertisement than sponsered archers just because they are proud of what they shoot. Bottom line is you can't worry about the other guy that will just drag you down. All you can do is go out and enjoy what your doing and make the best of it. Thats my 2 cents.

BOS
Old 03-02-2004, 06:27 PM

now wait a minute here, Are you saying a person cant be a professional hunter? Or are you just upset because you cant spend the time it takes to compete with a shooter that puts in 100 of hours in shooting and becoming the shooter he can be?seems to me that its just the whiners that whine about it, If one shoots the same equipment you are shooting you have the same chance to beat him or her.Whats the big deal?Are you saying because one can shoots a scope and slide and all that fancy stuff hanging off his bow that he can shoot a hunting bow just as good? Tell you what you try doing it, and then you get on here and complain.

I say stop ya complaining and just get out there and shoot the best ya can and have fun.It's not always about winning.Its a sport, what are you teaching the youth and the women that are coming into our sport?I tell you what you are teaching them what fathers that have there sons in ball, that if you dont win you are a failure, and thats not right.You teach them the basics and let them learn to grow with the sport and incorporate what you have taught them, and let them become archers if that s what they want.

Seems most have forgotten what we shoot for, money? no I shoot for fun, and sure i like to win, but shooting the best I can that day is my first goal everytime, I step to the stake, not that i have to win or worry that someone is upset because I have worked hard to get where I am in Archery, somethign that one does on there on.

And if you cant understand that then, well seems to me you need to challenge that person, and set it straight ont he range.Just my feelings,
Old 03-02-2004, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Different levels of sponsorships? Yes in deed. Part of successful archery is found in self image. Not how others view you, but how you view yourself. I have gained a low level sponsorship and how much do I get. Discounts on equipment. Not free. I shot in the hunter class last year in my state's championships against many wearing these so called billboards, I took second. My gear was what I would use for hunting. Not just the IBO legal arrows but actual hunting arrows(490 gr.). If one want's to become a winner, you should'nt worry about who you beat, but look to beat yourself. Every shoot I come out a winner if I beat myself. Before I knew it I was winning against those shooting in the unlimited and open class with sponsorships with my hunting gear. I will be shooting in one of the triple crowns this year in the hunting class. I also spend 15-20 hrs on the range per week and have 2 yardage judging sessions a week. Am I a sandbagger. No, Just dedicated to my sport. That is what won me my sponsorship. And I will be proud to wear the logo of the company that has sponsored me. Before this year the bells and wistles as you put it did not scare me. I was confident in my shooting and would not turn down an opportunity to shoot with anyone, even those with billboards. Many of those people have dedicated themselves to their sport and I do not envy those people but admire them and look at that as inspiration and not as intimidation. If a person is intimidated by a shirt or a logo, then they have to work on the self image part of being a good archer. The game comes from within oneself, and is not displayed on the shirt.These sponsorships are not what makes a person a winner. Some of the people out there have had more stuff given to them by friends or associates than those wearing the logos of sponsors. That should make them sand baggers also. I believe that if people spent more time making themselves better, there would be better archery competitions and also the world would be a better place to live. And no, you don't need to be related to a company owner to get a sponsorship, you just need to show hard work and dedication. See ya all on the range.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:23 PM

Thank you guys for saying much of what was on my mind, I have patches on my shooter shirts and the name of my favorite pro shop, you will even see BOWTECH on it, and Bowtech wants to have the amateur shooters wearing their name, I like to look the part even if I can't shoot well on that day. Worry more about making shooters welcome, making new friends and finally your own score.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:11 PM
Spike

Pa Proud I am one of the HC shooters with a half dozen sponsors on my shirt and I'm no kin to anybody in any of the companys I represent and the reason I shoot HC is I've only been shooting tournaments since april of last year. Most of the companys I have talked to want somebody to represent them in a professional manner and to try to be helpful to your fellow shooters when possible ,that seems to be the most important thing and show good sportsmanship because win or lose its still a game. I am hardly ever asked by my sponsors what I've shot. and as far as shooting I shoot 3 hours a day 1st for form then for score, I try to judge distance every chance I get and I shoot somewhere every week sometimes 4 times a week which gets my sponsors plenty of exposure and I feel you get out of this sport what I put into it ,no matter what class you shoot
Old 03-02-2004, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Amen wpmracer, for love nor money would I ever give up such a great sport. The only limits that one encounters in this sport is his/her self.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:24 PM

just a small observation, but some shooters will put patches on chairs, shirts, and wear hats of manufacturers, and not be sponsored by any of them. they just believe in and like the product, and maybe bought a product and get a free patch or hat.

i get the point of the post, and for a new shooter in the class it may seem intimidating. i have been on the practice range with guys who are the billboard type and been scared to death i may get paired up with one of "those guys". after shooting the ibo for 10 years now i dont get excited at all. they are human the same as you, and just love the sport the participate in. they may learn from you, as well as you from them. just because they are all dressed up doesnt mean there is anywhere to go.....
Old 03-02-2004, 09:45 PM

I realize there are different levels of sponsorship, maybe it is the PRO part that bothers me ? I myself have a few patches on my mathews shirts and am a fair 3-d shooter having a 1st and a 3rd at ASA pro-ams, a 5th and a 6th at Ibo worlds and 4 state titles, but I am NOT a pro and don't pretend to be. I have shot MBR, MBO, and seniors, so I am not new at this. Advertising for your local bow shop and the equipment you use is fine just delete the pro part unless you are good enough to back it up.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:30 AM

What is your definition of a PRO?
My sponsorships do not make me a pro by no means.But i do like to advertise for them.I believe i am a good ambasseder to the sport of archery and bow hunting.
I am a staff shooter for
Walton's archery
Trophy Ridge
JB archery,and will be wearing my name on a pair of P&D Helping Hands bino straps.The owners of these companies are extremly nice people ,and i have grown to like there products.
I 'm not the best shooter nor the best bowhunter .I would enjoy shooting against Burley Hall ,Jesse Moorehead,and Ginger just for fun.Pro or not there great people and show that the word pro is just a word.

Quick Reply: Sponsorships in Hunter Class ??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.