Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > IBO > Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting
 National Triple Crown events >

National Triple Crown events

Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

National Triple Crown events

Old 02-01-2004, 07:31 PM

Default National Triple Crown events

Can any of you give me some ideas of what to expect at the Bedford, Indiana and the Nelsonville, Ohio Shoots? Tips on motel/hotels and the type of terrain we will be shooting in. Also, does the IBO keep the yardages within their max limits? Some of the BHA shoots I have shot in here in Alabama will really stretch their 3% rule. I had to shoot at a 52 yard elk that was supposed to be no more than 45 yards with a 3% variance. I don't mind shooting at 50 yards if I know they are going to be some 50 yard shots. But don't give me a yardage limit if you are not going to abide by it. Thanks for any helpful advice you may be able to geive me as this is my first year of shooting IBO.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:34 PM

Default RE: National Triple Crown events

expect to have fun.....if you dont already have a hotel room for bedford and nelsonville, get one now......get off of the computer, and get one right now.....they are tough to get.......

terrain at bedford is not bad. gently rolling hills, pretty easy walking if it is not raining, if it rains, mud, mixed with mud, and mud on top of that....with mud on the side......pray for clear skies....[8D]

i dont know that i am familiar with the bha class, but if the max if 45 yards in the ibo, they really try to stay under that limit, unless you are shooting in the semi pro or pro class....them folks get it on.....

my best advice to a first year shooter, relax, have a good time, enjoy yourself, look at all the trinkets at the vender booths, get plenty of sleep the night before you shoot, and take it as it comes.....

now for nelsonville...hilly, steep grades, tough terrain to judge yardage, and some areas that are just plain flat.....shooting into woods from fields, and out of woods to fields.....there are a few copperhead snakes in the bushes, but i wouldnt worry much about that. as i said earlier, get your room reservations early, try nittany travel, i think there is a link on the ibo home page, or call the ibo office.

read know and understand all the ibo rules for your class.....they are not the type of people to rule with an iron fist, but, rules are rules and if you are not within the guidlines you may have a little trouble.

wear good boots at all ibo shoots. bring wet weather gear, shorts, tee shirts, etc......bring everything you own expect all kinds of weather, and the weatherman who forecasts weather for the ibo has been locked in a basement for 17 years and gets fed thru a drain pipe. he has no clue about the real weather. i have gotten completely soaked during a "clear sky" forecast and overheated during a "rainy day" forecast....plan for the worst and hope for the best...and by the way, welcome to the ibo...
Old 02-02-2004, 05:21 AM

Keith covered it pretty well. The only thing I would add is not to come with any preconceived ideas of what the yardages will be. I'm sure they will remind you what your maximum is, but don't plan on using one pin or sight setting all day. Any given class has a range of from 0 to ?. You need to be ready for all of it and know that you will need to evaluate each and every shot you see. Have fun, the courses are sometimes a bit challenging, but who wants to be bored anyhow? I'll second Keith's "Welcome to the IBO".
Old 02-02-2004, 05:59 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome and the helpful advice. This is my first time ever shooting IBO as I said and my experience up until this has been local Bowhunters of Alabama tournaments and 5 spots. I plan to shoot in the hunter class for my first time to sort of get my feet wet and see how I do. As long as I hit all of the targets, Iwill be happy(LOL). The yardages don't bother me as I said as long as I know that they will be in the confines of the rules. In the "unlimited class"(in BHA) the max was supposed to be 45yds. with a 3% variance and they do not always follow this as in the case stated earlier. Most of the time they do but sometimes they will get a little carried away. Thanks again for all of the good words of encouragement. That is what I like about shooting a bow, there are always great people willing to help you. THANKS!
Old 02-02-2004, 06:00 PM

Fellow Hoytshooter, the number for nittany travel is 1-800-326-9342 ask for
Terri or e-mail her at [email protected] she is very helpful, we stayed last year at the Spring Mill Inn in Mitchell In about 15 minutes from the shoot it is in a state park very nice had a buffet for breakfast and an dinner buffet that was well worth it. you have to book soon, now as Keith stated. or you can try to get a room in Bloomington further north than the shoot. As far as the yardage don't get nervous if you are shooting the hunter class nothing further than 35 yards if you are shooting the Bowhunter Release ( fixed pins) 45 yard max. the clubs have been doing a great job of keeping the yardages well within the max. doesn't mean that they won't try to fool you. If you haven't been to an IBO shoot before AND have shoot ASA you will find that the ranges are layed out like an ASA you will not be able to look back at your last target to get the yardage nor will you be able to look ahead. Check the rules for the class that you are planning on shooting in, they are different. Most of all come and have fun meet new people enjoy the weekend, I met my girlfriend and best friend shooting IBO events. Of the hundreds of people that I have meet less than a handful a would choose not to shoot with again. I shot the National Triple Crown for two years before becoming a state representative for the IBO, I am a firm believer in what the IBO stands for and the direction the board and officers are taking this organization. Welcome aboard from New York State Representative Rudy Abersold