Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

3-D shooting

Old 04-20-2003, 01:19 AM

Default 3-D shooting

I have been shooting a bow for 24 years in 3-D compatition. I would like to know how to go about getting sponsored. I think Im a decent shot. at 20 yards my groups are within the size of a silver dollar, 30 within the size of a small orange and 40 within the size of a grapefruit. 50 within a 9" paper plate. I really enjoy shooting and love the outdoors. My problem is I would like to figure out a way to make a little money as I enjoy what I like to do. from the IBO stakes I usually score from 259 to 270 out of a possible 300. I would liike to know if I have the potential to be a decent shootercapable of makeing a litle money along with getting sponsored? I know every thing comes with practice. any advice would be appriciated thanks.
Old 04-20-2003, 06:01 AM

Default RE: 3-D shooting

Buckeye Mike, there are a possible 330 points possible out of 30 targets, you will need to shoot 300 or better to get any little money, big money will be from 310 to 330. Good luck and start by winning a few state championships, the sponsors will come to you.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

The best way to get sponsored is to win, win and win somemore
Specially at the state and national level if you can manage that you dont have to go looking for them as they will be beating a path to your door
Old 04-20-2003, 12:56 PM

How do I get information on the state shoots and how is the scoreing set up. the shoots I have been shooting in are shoots sponcored by varrious clubs in my area. As far as the scoreing goes I geuss I should look at the IBO regulations. The shoots I have shot in the past have 30 targets with possible high score of 300. When I made my last posting I was not trying to sound aragaint but I really love the sport. It would be nice to enjoy it on a higher level. I think I would enjoy it more if There was more compitition , I guess Im looking to move up to a higher level to make the shooting fun again. I started shooting when I was 14 and like the competition factor. The other question I hav is most of the shooting I do is from 50 to 30 yards, In the higher level copetition what are the shots to expect and should I start shootin 60 yards as well? Any information is appriciated Thanks
Old 04-20-2003, 04:14 PM

Buckeyemike,

I' m assuming that you are from Ohio, considering your screen name. Next week our club has a local shoot, and May 31 / June 1 we are hosting the IBO Ohio State Championship. Both will be well set ranges, and the challege will definately be there. If you need help finding a local tournament in your area, let me know, I can probably help. Additionally, May-June-and July, will see the National Triple Crown Events held in Bedford, Indianna - Erie, Pa - and Nelsonville, Ohio, respectively. These events will all stack some of the top talent in one area for all the challenge you can ask for. IBO.Net will take you to the home page of the IBO, and there you will find all of the classes and their respective shooting distances covered.

As far as returning fun into the equation.....qualify for, and attend the IBO worlds competition in Snowshoe, W.Va. in August. Approximately 15,000 people, filling a whole mountain, just to celebrate and enjoy in the ultimate 3d challenge. That my friend is a good time. As far as sponsor money goes, as others have said, you will have to win some noteworthy events, and a good starting point is your local pro shop which I hope you visit frequently. From my point of view, however, the joy in this game is not found while pursuing a dollar. The real joy comes from placing yourself in a position to compete with the best shooters available, on the toughest ranges possible, and in the most challenging terrain you can imagine. Do all of that, and shoot your personal best while enjoying the comraderie of your fellow competitors.....it doesn' t get any better.

Just my thoughts, If I can be of any help in finding tournaments, membership to the IBO, or anything else, just let me know.
Chris

Old 04-20-2003, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buckeyemike, here are a couple of links to sites that list 3D shoots.

www.3dshoots.com

www.bowsite.com
Old 04-21-2003, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

Buckeye....winning helps but is not a necessity (don' t expect bows unless you are a winner though). Sponsors are looking for people to promote their product. Of the sponsors I know you must be associated with a shop (staff shooter). Go to your local pro shop and let them know your intentions. You must show a willingness to help others and promote archery. After hooking up with a shop you send a resume (your desires to promote archery and your accomplishments) to the archery manufacturers that you want to represent. Remember they want someone to promote their product to the largest amount of people. If you just shoot local shoots every other week, don' t expect to get picked up. Don' t get discouraged if they don' t pick you up right away, be patient. It' s too late for this year for manufacturers but you might want to get hooked up with a pro shop and send your resume out in December, January. When the manufacture picks you for sponsorship, you don' t get " free" stuff right away. You might get a product at greatly reduced costs for a year or two which you might be required to purchase, then you might get the " free" stuff. Remember, they are looking to advance archery and their product. Be professional in you conduct and attitude and you will be noticed.