Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

[Deleted]

Old 04-02-2003, 10:57 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-02-2003, 01:06 PM

Default RE: Qualifier Letters???????

i agree that you may be knocking someone off the list, but, when a host club has a qualifier, every participant at the shoot pays the five dollar ibo fee to shoot in that shoot. that is in the packet you get from the ibo when your local clubs host the shoots.
we have local folks who would love to go to the world shoot that cannot qualify at the bigger shoots, and rely heavily on local club qualifiers to go. if i think there are folks at the qualifiers that want to go and i may be " in the way" , what should i do. not shoot in the shoot? usually there is no problem at the local level in our area with shooting in the top 20 scores because there usually arent that many shooters in attendance, but larger clubs may have a problem.
i usually get several invites myself, and have no desire to knock someone out of going who truley wants to go, but i also would like to shoot in the tournament itself without knocking someone out.
the ibo gets part of its operating expenses from the five dollar fee that you pay, so the more shooters at the qualifier means more money for the ibo. it is a tradeoff for sure, but i see no way around it.............
the feeling around here is why should i pay the money if i dont want to go to the world shoot, i will just shoot at another club....
Old 04-02-2003, 01:08 PM

I see a couple of solutions.
1. Stop shooting so good[&:]
2. Do not shoot the course to qualifying. Most clubs will let you shoot the same coarse but you do not pay the IBO entry fee. All you pay is the club fee. I do this after I get 1 qualiying letter and I am usually put with an IBO group to bust the group up.
Old 04-02-2003, 03:35 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-02-2003, 06:03 PM

Jim,
Just a different perspective here. If the area clubs are really doing as they should be, a $5.00 fee should be advanced for every shooter who attends a sanctioned IBO shoot. Most clubs, including ours, offer a fun shoot format for those who do not wish to qualify or compete for the tournament awards. The $5.00 is still rightfully do to the IBO per shooter. These clubs choose to eat that $5.00 as a benefit to their loyal, local shooters. If you want to help the clubs the most, pay the event fee and have fun. The clubs recieve a little increased revenue for the extra effort they put out, they can pay the fee to the IBO without cutting their own revenue, and the IBO recieves the much needed funds to help further operations.

Most classes, yours included, will not likely see a benefit from your shooting non-competitive. Realistically, with the exception of the world and national events, only MBO and HC will routinely see multiple cases of the same 20 people qualifying and limiting others the oportunity. Further, and at the risk of starting a fire storm, I believe that it should be an achievement to qualify for the worlds. At that point you have earned the right to be there and compete.

I will agree, however, that if a method to reduce the amount of redundant qualification letters could be found, the reduced paperwork and postage would probably be appreciated.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:10 PM

Is it true that to shoot in the trophy classes you do not need to qualify for the World, I' m referring to the trophy classes at that world shoot, rather than the money classes????
The whole idea is money for the IBO to operate on isn' t it??
Old 04-02-2003, 06:28 PM

Yes, its true. The IBO established a seperate but consecutive trophy class that you can simply pre-register to compete in. I believe the thought is to provide a means for those who for whatever reason can not, or do not qualify, or who simply don' t wish to compete for the money, to still attend the event and have fun. Many people don' t feel that they can " compete" at the world level, but still want to see what all the fuss is about. This program allows them to get their feet wet without the high pressure.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:25 PM

This may be the wrong answer to a real problem but here I go.

I have qualified twice this year and have no intention of going to another shoot for that specific purpose. In addition to the $5. most qualifying shoots have an additional charge in the area where I live. Here in NY I participated in the State Championship in the MCBH class and both time receieved nothing but the qualifing letter, even though I was one of only two participants both times. The cost of $50.00 to shoot 80 arrows with no hope of any return is far to much to pay. My class was not the only one where the awards were not available because of 2 or less shooters. We shot on Saturday and had no way of knowing how many shooters were going to registger.

One way would be for any person that shoots a total score that is predetermined by the IBO AT 2 qualifing shoots in a single class would be qualified for the world. This may bring more shooters to the world and additional income is possible at the bowhunter Defense ranges because of larger numbers of shooters and this money would go directly to the real reason for this organization.

The HC and MBO class could have over 2000 qualified shooters base on the number of qualifing shoots on the IBO schedule. These are the two biggest classes at the World and yet they have yet to make 600 shooters at the world including the trophy class which does not require qualifing.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Simple solution:

On the application put a checkbox: already qualified.

Then host club only sends paper work for qualifiers where that box isn' t checked.

Its a little more work for the host, they have to track these etc. However you could do this right on the sheet of all scores.

You wouldn' t be eliminating others, cause anyone in the top 20 qualifies. even if you qualified, and you come in first, that is 1 spot of the top 20, just cause you are already qualified, shouldn' t lower the qualification line.

--Bob
Old 04-03-2003, 03:40 PM

fastfletch, i think that the ibo has established rules covering ibo qualifiers, and the host club is required to provide awards. if you shot in a class with two shooters, they should have awarded a first place trophy, or money if the club so desires.
i know our local clubs only charge fifteen dollars for the qualifier, where they normally charge ten for a club shoot, and they pay back forty percent of the money back to the shooters. the only classes locally that get trophy is the hunter class.