Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

" Best" Arrows?

Old 03-27-2003, 03:47 PM

Default " Best" Arrows?

Hi,
I' m fairly new to archery and really new to 3D. Im in the stages of setting up my bow for 3D events. Right now I shoot a Mathews Q2XL (29" , 63lbs), Bodoodle Pro Lite, Toxonics Hybrid V, peep, string loop and use a caliper release. I' m down to 4 arrows, XX78 2314s, so I' ll need new arrows and will be switching to carbons soon and possibly a drop away rest (NAP 4000 probably). What do you all recommend I do and get? BTW I' m 17 and want to get started the right way the first time. Let' s say money isnt an issue for now. Hope this all makes sense. Thanks.

Shawn, NE Illinois
Old 03-27-2003, 06:00 PM

Default RE: " Best" Arrows?

Cowboy if money is no issue I suggest for 3D that you shot Carbon Express CXL Shafts 250 (6.9 gpi) compound bows from 50 to 65 lbs.
29" @6.9 would be 200.1 grains for the the shaft.
CXL Nock WEIGHS 10.3 GRAINS
4 inch Norway Dura vanes at 7.7 grains apiece.
CARBON EXPRESS KNURLED INSERT FOR CXL 28 grains
And a 65 grain screw in tip for Hunter class

This set up would be for hunter class with the 4 inch vanes and your arrow total would wiegh in at 326.5 grains that is only 11.5 grains over for your 63lb draw wieght. I' m shooting this set up on BowTech Pro38 at 60lb DW and shooting 268 feet per second my friend is shooting the same arrow out of Razartech at 63lb DW and shooting 288FPS both bows are 28" draw lenght so you should get a great speed out of your bow at 29 inches. These arrows my have a durability problem compaired to some but the fatter size at 23/64 or 9.3MM outside diameter helps to grab a line and up your score. We are getting good down range groups with this arrow as well. We have tried several arrow set ups and many of the men we shoot with are using this arrow and love this set up.

Even the guys who are not shooting hunter class but open give these arrows high recommendations as well. Remember this is just a recommendation.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:15 AM

hello fellas
i might have some input for you
i think that since you are a fairly new archer that you should stick to something a little more durable say like a regular carbon express 200
that is what i shoot and ive been shooting for a few years
there tollerance isgreat as good as a/c/c ' s
the only problem that these shafts have is they do not fly well at longer ranges say 80 yrds which you do not have to worry about.
the cxl' s are alot more expensive and will not gain you that much
a set of cxl 250 fixed up run right at 140$
regular cx 200 fixed up 100$
the cxl' s also have a problem of not flying well at long range the key to fixing that is to put heavier points in them
i shoot the cx 200 80Gr points at 30 in draw 58 lbs 301 fps and i can stack groups with them
they are not near as fragile as cxl' s
Old 03-28-2003, 12:20 PM

I WOULD SUGGEST EASTON REDLINES, I USE THEM AND LIKE THEM ALOT. THEY SEEM TO BE MORE DURABLE, I USE A REDLINE 360 WITH 80 GR. POINTS AT 28" , I HAVE ONLY HAD ONE BREAK (SHATTER) AND THAT I BELIEVE WAS DUE TO THE PERSON PULLING THEM. I HAVE BOUGHT 1.5 DOZ IN THE PAST YEAR AND STILL HAVE SIX, IF YOU FIND THE OTHERS PLEASE LET ME KNOW, THEY SHOULD BE BEHIND SOME TARGETS SOMEWHERE. OH BY THE WAY, THEY ARE ABOUT $90.00 A DOZEN. I USED THESE TO HUNT WITH, WITH A 75GR. MUZZY AND SHOT 290 ON 68#.
Old 03-29-2003, 04:09 PM

I think the CXL 250s for your setup would be good, I use the 150s(shoot 56#) they weigh 280 gr. and go through the chrono at 280 with my Conquest 3. They are pretty durable and I would recommend unibushings and gnocks for rear end protection. I like them as you can get good speed out of low poundage, I can' t get any aluminums close to 280 gr.