Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > IBO > Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting
 Probably get flamed for this one! >

Probably get flamed for this one!

Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

Probably get flamed for this one!

Old 02-16-2003, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Probably get flamed for this one!

For those that haven' t read up on the NEW IBO rules.There are now 2 minutes alowed for EACH shooter in a group.They realize that a 1 minute time limit is next to impossible when using a slide bar sight.

This will mean if there are 5 shooters in a group then they are allowed 10 minutes to shoot each target.Yes it is a bit much but it is necessary.Imagine a 50 yard target and the wind is blowing and you have to let down because you are blown off the target.Do you really think 1 minute is enough?Even a pin shooter will have a tough time in these conditions.

If they do like they should and allow people to pass, the time it takes could actually be longer.

Some of the clubs can help with time by not having double and tripple shots.These will always cause a back up.

Check out rule 12 www.ibo.net/rules/
Old 02-16-2003, 07:09 PM

DavidMill, I would love to shoot with you some time with that attitude, this is supposed to be fun no matter if it is competition or hunting practice. Heck I am a traditional shooter and we go faster than everyone but our group prefers not to shoot through because just being on the range is a lot better than being at work, we even like to study all the other equipment just like anyone else and I think sometimes they get a kick out of watching us (" Holy cow, you hit the target, how do you aim that thing ? " ) 3D is a social event now, real hunting practice is done alone or with a few close friends.
Old 02-16-2003, 07:50 PM

Well said Darryl. I now shoot all the bells and whistle but after shooting for 45 years I have shot just what you are talking about but because there was very few other choices when I started. To each his own. My own personal goal is to shoot the best arrow that I can with the most accuracy because I owe it to the game that I am trying to harvest. Each person has to determine how much time he can devote to honing his skills. Good Luck
Old 02-16-2003, 08:42 PM
8PT

fastfletch, I have to disagree with you on a couple of points as far as a hunters shooting ability being reflected in their score on a 3d course. I know from experience that a great shot on an animal is not necessarily a great score on a 3d target. What score will a solid heart shot on a mckinsie/rinheart medium alert deer get you? How about an 8, possibly a 5. One shot on a 3d course from last year that I was most proud of was exactly this. I intentionally held low for hunting practice in case an alert deer happened to jump/duck the string. Also these " Wannabe" Pro' s that develop the habit/practice of spending 2-5 minutes to set up their shot are likely to find empty woods where that deer once was by the time they release the arrow. I shot our local club 3d today and had a couple of beautiful double lung shots that scored a big fat 8. Didn' t take me five minutes to kill them either. Had a ball with the family and friends on a 25 target course and didn' t spend 3 hours doing it. Left us plenty of time to relax and BS with the gang back at the clubhouse.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:10 PM

8PT

An eight on a 3d course is not a bad shot. I will agree that the score on a 3d target is not always the best shot that you could make. Overall the aiming spot on a 3D target is for the shot to have the most room for error. There are some archers who have become very proficient with their bow and no shooting aids attached. On a 3D course we have a much different mind set than we do when a deer or other animal comes in sight. As you are, I am only speaking for myself and I know that each person can only speak for himself.
Good luck and the best arrow you will ever shoot is the next one.
Old 02-17-2003, 01:12 AM

Just as someone said earlier, everyone that shoots 3d isn' t practicing for hunting. It has become a competetive sport for many. Some of us take the tournaments more seriously than others. It' s just like any other sport, most people who play it want the latest, greatest and best equipment they can afford. I use scopes and long stabilizers and shoot in open class, but I always have fun and enjoy the company at 3d shoots. It' s some of the best people you' ll meet anywhere. If the hunter' s are held up and aggrevated with the open shooter' s, just ask, I' ve never heard anyone on a range tell someone that they couldn' t shoot through. Enjoy your practice and let us enjoy our competition. If archer' s start dividing themselves, archery will go nowhere but down
Old 02-17-2003, 06:27 AM

Enjoy your practice and let us enjoy our competition. If archer' s start dividing themselves, archery will go nowhere but down

VERY well said.

Old 02-17-2003, 06:28 PM

Well I' ve seen people on the 3-d ranges who love to shoot tournaments but they don' t hunt. So to say that 3-d is just practice for bowhunting is not entirely true. Some people do it for the enjoyment of it,some people do it for the competiton. Either way it is a past time that I love and enjoy no matter what the case.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with TFOX, fasstfletch, 3dholic, and JDoyle. I hunt to hunt, and I shoot 3D to compete. For me practice for hunting comes after the Worlds and the Nationals are over. Practice for 3D comes after hunting season is over. If you want to practice for hunting then go ahead and do it. Why do you want to stop me from my competition practice? It appears you are talking about the local level shoots. If I go to a local shoot that uses IBO rules, then I feel I should be able to use my 2 minutes to get my shot off. No one around here has a 1 minute rule. If they did and they wanted to enforce it, I would shoot elsewhere. I shoot to practice for the IBO Nationals. I need to practice as I shoot the Nationals. Now, if I' m shooting and holding someone up, I, nor anyone else I know of, has ever failed to let a faster group shoot thru. I don' t agree with groups of 6 or 7 or more shooters holding everyone up. It doesn' t happen around here that I can see. Faster shooters are permitted to shoot thru. It appears that you know who the " slow" shooters are...Why do you shoot behind them?