Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > IBO > Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting
 Hunter Class Specifics - Official Ruling Needed >

Hunter Class Specifics - Official Ruling Needed

Community
Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

Hunter Class Specifics - Official Ruling Needed

Old 05-12-2006, 06:16 AM

Default RE: Hunter Class Specifics - Official Ruling Needed

C-Woods,
My thought is thata limb saver screwed to the riser adds some level of weight and vibration dampening, but it is allowed. A tungsten or brassweight emplaced in the lower rubber doughnut on a Mathews, Martin and others add weight and vibration dampening, but is allowed. A dampener placed on the cable guard adds weight and balance, but is allowed. An STS adds dampening and minimal weight and it is allowed. A bolt on quiver for instance, adds weight,balance, and vibration reduction, but is allowed.

I physically cannot separate these in my mind from what I have and several other options out there.Several of us are puzzled at where the line is. Maybe a length limit of some sort to "add on" accessories would be more clear.

Ultimately, I just don't want myself or others to be "questioned" or "contested" at a shoot for what seems to be avague rule.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:31 PM

I plan on coming to the 2nd leg of the triple crown at McKean. I plan on shooting in the AHC. I would like to know if there are "Rules Officials" that we can seek out to find out if our bow is legal to shoot in the Hunter Classes. The person or persons names would be helpful. Then we could just ask to see these people and they could be called or set up a time to meet with them and find out if our equipment is legal, or if it is not legalwhat we have to take off to make it legal. I know this would be a little difficult for the IBO staff to do, they are busy enough as it is. I have a vibration module screwed into the stabilizer hole on the front of the riser with a stabilizer screwed into the module, it sticks out 8-1/2 inches total. I also havetwo vibration modules screwed in the riser on the backside(towards the string) on the stabilizer hole and they stick out from the riser about 2-3/4 inches. I have a vibration dampener screwed into the riser on the top and the bottom of the riser (in the quiver holes) they stick out 1-1/4 inches. I do not know if this is all legal or not?I hunt with this bow exactly like the way I describe, I just throw a mechanical broadhead on the arrow. Is this setup legal? There is so much stuff to put on your bow nowadays it is VERY confusing.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:12 AM

there will be folks there to answer your questions....have your bow with you, and any equipment you needs answers for, and ask for ken, gene, chris, or craig. the local club officials may not be able to make an official ibo ruling, which are the rules we fall under, so make sure you get an ibo rep, or ibo state rep to assist you. i will suggest you read the rules and have your ideas and questions sorted out before you ask for assistance from the ibo, it will make for a better conversation......before you register at the shoot, go to the ibo registration table and ask for any of the above mentioned people. they will be more than willing to answer any questions you have and help with any concerns you have.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:30 PM

Thanks Keith, that helps out a lot. I will write those names down now. That is very helpful and appreciated.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:24 PM

Finding out at a shoot is a bit late. The whole purpose of this post is to find out NOW. Why practice for the shoot all the hours that it takes and find out before you start that you have to change something. NOT A GOOD THING!
This class needs something specific......... weight, length or something. Better yet, just let us put whatever we want on less than 12". This is ahunterclass and several people I know have alot of what I have pictured on there bows.

I think the number of views alone speak for the interest in this thread. Clearly, I am not the only one with this question.

The powers at be need to put their heads together and make a decision.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:21 PM

1. HUNTER CLASS (HC)
A compound, recurve, or longbow shot with or without sights. A sight shall have no more than four fixed, cross hair, or circle style pins without lens or magnification. If circle style pins are used, all circles must be the same size. A sight may have a rear aperture (ie. Peep sight or fixed rifle type sight). Sights may not be adjusted after entering the shooting course. Arrows must have screw in points and at least three feathers or vanes no less than four inches long (measured minimum 3.75in). Only one stabilizer may be used. The stabilizer shall be no more than twelve inches long, and extend no more than twelve inches from the point of attachment to the bow. Note rule change page 6, C-4, concerning peep sights.
Un-weighted vibration dampers are not considered to be stabilizers. May be shot with finger tab, shooting glove or release. HC archers shoot from the yellow stake.
If an archer wins more than once in HC at a qualifying event for shooter of the year, or wins either the National Championship or World Championship during any one IBO shooting year, that archer must advance to another class for the entire duration of the following IBO shooting year.

5. An archer using new or unusual equipment not addressed by class definitions or elsewhere in these rules, will be required to shoot in one of the open classes until the IBO Board of Directors makes a ruling on the proper class for the equipment.

there you go eagle6....unweighted vibration dampers are not considered to be stabilizers....anything else, would fall under rules for unusual equipment....being maybe a stabilizer with vibration abosorbing characteristics without weights added? illegal in hunter class unless attached to the front of the bow and used as a primary stabilizer....

the folks you mention as:" Better yet, just let us put whatever we want on less than 12". This is ahunterclass and several people I know have alot of what I have pictured on there bows." are they shooting the ibo shoots or local club shoots? are they participating in sanctionedibo events?
Old 05-14-2006, 09:39 PM

Easy there Keith.......take a breath......breath........1....2....3

This post has not questioned any other area of the printed rule except "Un-weighted vibration dampers are not considered to be stabilizers".
What the heck does this mean?

Your comment "....anything else, would fall under rules for unusual equipment....being maybe a stabilizer with vibration abosorbing characteristics without weights added? illegal in hunter class unless attached to the front of the bow and used as a primary stabilizer.... "
How is a "stabilizer with vibration absorbing characteristics without eights addedconsidered "unusual equipment"?

Here is another example. Thequotation above (from the written rule) tells me that if I screw in a rubber doinker to the back of my riser that I am ok. But, if I screw in a weight to the doinker, then it becomes weighted and therefore illegal. What are your thoughts Keith?

How can a person add weight to a bow and not be considered a second "stabilizer"?

If you shoot a Mathews or similar, you just add a brass or tungsten weight to your bottem dampener and you will be OK. How is this different than adding a weight to a doinker that is screwed into the back of my riser?
Both add weight, balance and vibration dampening....right.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:52 AM

Eagle6,
It is quite obvious that you have a solid base of knowledge concerning stabilizing devices as well as vibration dampeners. Suffice it to say, the BOD of the IBO also share that knowledge base. While debateing word semantics may be an entertaining process, isprovidesvery little benefit. We (and you) clearlyunderstand the devices and systems designed forbow stabilization -vs- dampening.As it stands now, A single (meaning 1) stabilizer will be allowed measuring 12" or less from the point of attachment. By this statement v-bars (or offsets) utilizing additional devices to stabilize (balance) your bow will not be allowed in the hunter classes. I can not be more clear than that.

Chris Turner
IBO Director
Old 05-15-2006, 06:18 AM

eagle, dont worry about me, i am breathing nicely.....you asked for the information, and have recieved quite a bit of it. you seem to be fishing for something....by all means bait up and cast away. any questions you have can and will be answered, if they havent already been answered, but you seem to finish off any answer with a question.

your question: How is a "stabilizer with vibration absorbing characteristics without eights addedconsidered "unusual equipment"? if you already have a stabilizer/vibration absorbing device screwed into the front of your bow, any other stabilizer with vibration absorbing capabilities other than an unweighted vibration absorber that is not a stabilizer would fall under other unusual equipment for that class. if it is in question, and not approved by the bod, you would not be allowed to particpate in that class with that equipment. an unweighted doinker, attached to the rear of the bow, not on an offset or v bar, would in this case be legal. if a weight were added to the device, it would at that point become illegal for the hunter class.

again i will ask you, the persons that you see with equipment that you are questioning, are they participating in ibo events, or local club shoots.

Old 05-15-2006, 08:38 AM

Keith, I appreciate your effort here. I simply have a very different opinion of how the quotation reads.
My mind will not accept the difference between adding a weight to a "Mathews and similar" doughnut and adding adoinker/weight to the riser's backside or an un-weightedoff-set.
Ultimately, Chis Turner is the man who makes the final call and I will accept that even though I don't agree with it.
I will pass this on to the folks I see at IBOand Club events so there is no conflicts at crunch time.

Now, my final question. How can a person add weight to his bow in the HC without buying another stabilizer and remain within the rules?

Quick Reply: Hunter Class Specifics - Official Ruling Needed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.