Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

Rules ?

Old 03-27-2006, 08:53 PM

Default Rules ?

In reading the rules I have a question concerning Rule #5. What is the definition of a bounce out? Is an arrow that hits the target but does not stick constitute a bounce out?
Old 03-28-2006, 05:07 AM

Default RE: Rules ?

A bounce back is an arrow that squarely strikes the target and bounces
back toward the shooter. An arrow that glances off the target is not considered a bounce back. A bounce back may be scored if the score can be agreed upon by the majority of archers in the group. If a member of the group other than the archer witnesses the bounce back and the group cannot agree, the archer may re-shoot the target before the group advances to score the target.

Hope this helps, Chris
Old 03-29-2006, 04:22 PM

Chris thanks for the reply. The rule however does not say bounce back it says bounce out. I agree with your assessment but I am certain there are shooters that will interpret the rule as if it hits the target it is at least a 5. We all know that on the range your group becomes the rules committee.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:34 AM

During the spring BOD meeting we were able to finalize the rule book revisions we have been working on. The text I offered above is a dirrect exerpt from those revisions. I believe those revisions will be posted soon on the IBO Home page and available for review. No specific class changes will be seen for this shooting year, but several issues such as this one now have a more complete and concise answer. In this case we clearly distingquish between a bounce back and a glance off arrow. I believe that everyone will appreciate the changes to not only the rule wording, but the revised structure of the book as a whole to aid in finding the information.

So...... if the question should arise during the course of competition this year, the answer I provided will be the only correct answer.

Chris Turner
IBO Director