Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Why was society and culture in the early 2010s so vapid? >

Why was society and culture in the early 2010s so vapid?

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Why was society and culture in the early 2010s so vapid?

Old 09-27-2021, 07:13 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn View Post
Douthat;s book is saying this is the kind of thing that happens in societies that reached their limits. When that happens, they lethargic and direct their energies into things that are frivolous, wasteful, etc. It describes us very well.
so I'm just curious does he predict what happens next? Revolution ie the French? Societal collapse? A new society rising from the ashes of the old?
Old 09-27-2021, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander View Post
. I have seen many societal changes over my 73 years of life and some of the most dramatic came during the last 20 years. I wonder what another 20 will bring.
To say I'm nervous would be a huge understatement. We're not just vapid, but we're also completely divided and polarized and the stakes are getting higher. Increasingly, neither side has less and less reason to desire compromise.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lonestar50 View Post
so I'm just curious does he predict what happens next? Revolution ie the French? Societal collapse? A new society rising from the ashes of the old?
He actually says to expect it to go along like this for awhile. He says decadent/stagnant societies can run on cruise control for quite some time just sort of dwindling away. I recall that he cites ancient Rome as a good example. It didn't really fall, it just sort of atrophied and got chipped away here and there by various barbarians.

One thing worth noting, though, is that he wrote it just before the pandemic hit. That might have significant effects.

Here's an interview that I caught a bit of:

A
Old 09-27-2021, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SpaceCDR View Post
I was just an idealistic college student during that time and I remember it as a vapid time. Reality shows, cop shows, and doctor soaps were the dominant forces on TV. Most of my fellow students were more interested in becoming rich, partying, and watching reality TV.

There was no interest in space and sci fi.

Not to say those are bad things but why not aspire to be athletic, fun loving, and yet smart like the badass Apollo astronauts?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAYc0hIPOfY

Why did people back then felt more pressure to conform to stereotypes back then?

Now TV is in a flood of swords, dragons, and spaceships.
Amazon’s The Wheel of Time Trailer Is Here!

Apple TV Plus' 'For All Mankind' takes a lesson from the Mars rover

Netflix’s Cowboy Bebop Will Debut in November

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Announces Its Crew—Including Lieutenant Uhura

Apple TV Plus’ ‘Foundation’ Is a Sharp Remix of Isaac Asimov’s Sci-Fi Classic for a New Age: TV Review

Why was society and TV viewers so vapid? Would the world be a better place if society was inspired by astronauts again?
do you really think there hasn't been a LOT of movies about SCI FI and space?
where have you been living??
Iron man series?, and all the take off of it?
they ,made billions of dollars over the past 10-20 yrs and millions of folks went to see them and still watch them,!

I really don't see any shortage in SCI FI movies at all
if anything, they made more of them now than ever and have the ability to do so with more advances in things they can create and make more realistic now than ever !

as for space, there are private parties building space ships now, NOT just governments
which didn;t happens yrs ago
its only now its happening!
IMO< if anything there is more space travel and interest now than ever
more countries that have things IN space , just look at how many satellite's are up there ?? space centers and??
I am not sure where your getting your views from, but its not from lack of folks having interest in space or SCI FI movies

Space will always be or for now any how
something ONLY the elite can afford, so, as such, most average folks don't spend all that much time or money learning too much about it, as they most likely will never afford to get there!
BUT they do buy movie tickets and they DO watch launches and so on, as much so now than ever if not more so?

Old 09-27-2021, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Give me a good western any day.

-Jake
Old 09-27-2021, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Have you seen Concrete Cowboy with Idris Elba? It's not the traditional cowboy movie at all. It is based on a true story and has a very interesting history.