Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
What Books Are You Reading? >

What Books Are You Reading?

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

What Books Are You Reading?

Old 04-01-2022, 04:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks FM, I'm definately a nonfiction guy. I haven't read Isaac's Storm, but will check it out.
A book you might finding interesting is a book called, "Giant Under the Hill; A History of the Spindletop Oil Discovery at Beaumont, Texas, in 1901." For those who do not know, the famous Lucas Gusher at Spindletop, and the Spindletop oil field changed the course of history. Noone until that time had seen anything like it. Oil was struck on January 10,1901, and blew for 9 days at a rate of 100,000 barrels a day until they literally invented a way to cap it. Many patented inventions came from desperate necessity just to get control of the monster they unleashed. Texaco and Gulf oil were founded, and the fuel of the 20th century that gave us automobile, and airplane travel, all can be attributed to the Spindletop discovery. Until then, the oil production was only thought of as a replacement for whale oil in lanterns. I read the book when I got into the industry. Our office is less than a mile away form the original Lucas Gusher site.

The Galveston hurricane hit almost 4 months to the day before oil was struck at Spindletop, just 66 miles as the crow flies from Galveston on Sep. 8, 1900.
The worst hurricane in American History came 4 months prior to the worlds largest oil discovery at the time, almost at exactly the same spot on earth.

C. Davis

Last edited by C. Davis; 04-02-2022 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-01-2022, 04:28 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post

The Devil In The White White City - Our biggest mass murder but they never knew how many victims. The great grandson (I think that’s the correct position) believes he was Jack The Ripper. Disturbing book for anyone with teenage daughters.
This was a great book. I found myself enjoying the White City parts more than the Devil parts

You might enjoy
The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown
One Summer by Bill Bryson
Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann
Empires of Light by Jill Jonnes
Say Nothing by Patrick Radden Keefe
One Man's Wilderness by Sam Keith
Old 04-25-2022, 11:10 PM
Spike

Right now I've decided to read once again One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez as I read it years ago and liked much but now I felt that I will find something new for myself is I do that one more time. And that feeling was right as this time I perceive some things completely differently... interesting sensation