Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
New dog (Plott Hound, Pit Bull/Lab, mix breed) >

New dog (Plott Hound, Pit Bull/Lab, mix breed)

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

New dog (Plott Hound, Pit Bull/Lab, mix breed)

Old 06-12-2021, 05:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default New dog (Plott Hound, Pit Bull/Lab, mix breed)

*Finally*... My wife and I found a nice 1yr old male dog named "Reggie" at the local SPCA in town. As seen in the title of this thread, he is (according to the SPCA) 1/2 purebred Plott Hound, 1/4 Pit Bull, and maybe 1/4 Labrador Retriever. He's awesome, very friendly, and instantly bonded with my wife and I. He does have a very deep "Woof" type of bark and will instantly alert us of any danger.

At 1 year old, he is already 58 pounds and full of energy. Anyone have a dog like this, or ever seen a dog like this?

The main SPCA photo:

My wife Margaret feeding "Reggie" some kibble from her hand at the SPCA:

Chilled out, relaxed, and falling asleep in my music room on the carpet in my house...

Last edited by ButchA; 06-13-2021 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-12-2021, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

looks like a character already. He is going to keep you busy with all that energy !

Good luck with him. Looks like a great addition to the family !
Old 06-12-2021, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks.... My beloved dog Amber passed away at 15 years old, this past February. She hunted rabbits with me, squirrels, etc... whatever was out there, she would try to go after. Wherever I went, Amber went with me. Sadly, at 15 she started having heart trouble, and soon enough, my vet said, "it's time"... Broke my heart... Man, I will admit... I will confess... When the vet stuck the needle into Amber's leg and put her down, that was it... I lost it, and cried like a little girl.

All these months later, my wife and I found "Reggie" at the local SPCA and he bonded with us. At 58 lbs, he's a bit to big to go after rabbits in the low laying briars and thickets.... I don't know... Hmm... I will have to see...
Old 06-12-2021, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

well congrats on the new addition to your family
and sorry to hear of the loss of your other member
I have said many times before, the only down side to owning a dog is there lives are way too short!
and loosing them is very hard
as there forever kids, and like loosing a kid when one passes is very hard pill to swallow, even when you know your doing the right thing!
its just never easy!

Old 06-12-2021, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear of your loss with Amber. Let Reggie decide if he can chase after those rabbits. He might surprise you and both of you get some fun.
Old 06-13-2021, 12:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Got my own version of a brindle rescue pup. We got Bailey 2 years ago after she came up from Louisiana to a Vermont shelter. We ran her DNA and she came back pit, boxer and lab mix. She is about 53 pounds and has a lot of energy. Really friendly with everyone and great with the grand kids. She loves to run and swim

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 06-13-2021 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-13-2021, 12:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Butch,

Fine looking dog. Kudus for getting one from a place like the SCPA and not a breeder. Mixed breeds make the best dogs since they haven't had the brains bred out of them. I am saddened to hear that you lost a long time pet. My grandfather always said if there was any justice in the world a man and his dog would both die on the same day. My wife recently had to put down the cat she had the longest. He was a rescue cat and had been so badly abused that they had to take a front leg off when he was less than a year old. We had him for 14 years before he got so bad we had to do the humane thing. I'm not much of a cat person but I have to admit that 3 legged SOB was pretty cool and had a lot of character.
Old 06-13-2021, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks, everyone...

Here is a photo from this morning, after my wife removed the zippered covering on an old dog bed to wash it. Reggie settled right in on the egg carton foam bed as it was. He didn't care... I was sitting on my side porch having my 3rd cup of coffee from the full pot, when I decided to take the photo.

Old 06-13-2021, 12:49 PM
Dominant Buck

When we got her she was 4 months old. We couldn't come up with a name and then due to her color we named Bailey after an adult beverage I enjoy once in a while. After we lost our Fannymae at age 13 I said never again. I couldn't go through the pain of losing a pet again. We went about 6 months and my daughter who is a vet tech fostered a couple dogs and had to go to Seattle on business. She asked if we could keep the new brindle mix she recently fostered and my wife after talking with me said OK but just for the week. I was sitting at the counter when they brought her in and knew immediately she wasn't ever going to leave. Big time setup between my wife and daughter. They knew I would like the dog. We took that picture later that day.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 06-13-2021 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-13-2021, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Beautiful dog!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.