Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
What's in Your Local Gun Store >

What's in Your Local Gun Store

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

What's in Your Local Gun Store

Old 12-05-2020, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Default What's in Your Local Gun Store

I went by a local ammo store and he was closed with a sign in the window that he couldn't get ammo. I drove a block to the local gun store and he didn't have any of the guns I was looking for. The owner checked his supplier and there was nothing. One of the older employees said he can't find Blue Dot anywhere. I drove down to a big box sporting goods store 20 miles down the road and they had a handful of pistols and no pistol ammo. I shot the breeze with one of the guys who works there and he confirmed they don't have Blue Dot and are out of most pistols and pistol ammo. He said he just moved from a small town in Colorado and his small town gunstore back there had everything in stock because nobody wanted to drive an hour and a half in the boonies for guns or ammo. I asked why he would move away from that to CA and he said 1 word--family.

I haven't been in a gun store in months due to deer, bear and turkey seasons and was shocked. So I'm wondering what's in your local gun stores? Hope you're doing better than this communist state.
Old 12-06-2020, 01:58 AM
Super Moderator

Same thing in ohio and pennsylvania. Even .30-30 ammo is impossible to find. And they all say the same thing- that they aren't getting anymore in anytime soon.

You can still find oddball stuff on the shelves. .30-40 krag, .303, and the big magnums and such. But a box of .270? Nope. And no primers here either.

-Jake
Old 12-06-2020, 02:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

mil-surp 223 ammo going for a buck, sixteen ea. if they have in, they will have 1 case, a week later another case. the big shops have bulk ammo in the back put away "to see what happens"
not much slow burning or pistol powders available, very few bullets and primers. guns everywhere, but nobody will buy them till you can get ammo for it. AR 15 parts are scarce and steadily going up in price.
RR
Old 12-07-2020, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Our LGS was doing awesome relatively speaking. He was in very good shape. A few holes here and there in the ammo section and plenty of guns. The owner did say a few things of note:

1.) He has been able to get steady supplies and he attributed that to paying immediately. He said a popular outdoor retail store in the region was having trouble because they were having credit issues. People were coming to him to getting items that were no longer available at the big retailer.

2.) People were driving for miles (he mentioned one person coming from 300 miles away).

3.) He had to ration 30-06 shells for the first time ever.

Old 12-08-2020, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't been to the store lately because I injured my hand and it made shooting too painful. I used to buy bulk 5.56 NATO and have quite a stock built up. I watched lots of videos on youtube about how prices are so high and one person replied that prices were high on gunbroker as well. I've had friends come by and asked if I'd be willing to sell some of it and said sure, how much are you thinking? They said$275? I asked them how many cans do they want. 420 rounds on stripper clips per can. In 2 weeks I sold 3 cans, so I listed some on gunbroker. One person bid the starting price of 225 plus 25 shipping and 6 people are watching it. I do have a BUY NOW price of 350 that gets free shipping. I'm thinking of dropping the buy now price to 300 with free shipping. What do y'all think about the buy now price? Keep it as is or lower it? Even at 350, I'm the cheapest.

Last edited by thundermug; 12-08-2020 at 04:59 AM.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just went to one of the chain gun stores cause the locals don't have anything. Pistols and pistol ammo are scarce. Rifle ammo is so-so. Decent selection of rifles in stock. Might be a little hard to sell one if they don't have ammo for it. They never seem to run out of shotgun ammo.
Old 12-08-2020, 04:01 PM
Dominant Buck

I can get most of what I need here in the Green Mt State.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by elkman30 View Post
They never seem to run out of shotgun ammo.

I know in the last buying craze, there were shotguns on the shelves while rifles and handguns, particularly semi-autos, were selling fast.

The market for shotguns--and ammo-- doesn't appear to be strong. (I presume it has to do with the fewer numbers of young hunters).

Last edited by Father Forkhorn; 12-09-2020 at 05:19 AM.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Ammo is tough to get at a decent price. I played the game at Academy Sports going on Tuesdays and Thursdays because they get their shipments then and on Sundays. The problem is it goes quick and the limit is three boxes. So I broke down and paid 2x for bulk shipments. Getting ready to do it again. Guns???? None are in stock. So I've gone other avenues to get what I want for my collection.

Last edited by Fieldmouse; 12-09-2020 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-15-2020, 01:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Family gun shop here no problem on guns but ammo is a bit harder depending on what I am looking for. Good thing I was prepared for this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.