Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Why the stigma against sci fi? >

Why the stigma against sci fi?

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Why the stigma against sci fi?

Old 11-14-2020, 05:30 AM
Spike

Default Why the stigma against sci fi?

I remember back in the late 2000s people who watched reality shows, doctor soaps, and cop shows were considered "normal" while people who watched "Battlestar Galactica" were thought of as people who lived in basements.

Things are better now. Comic book movies became all the rage at the box office and Game of Thrones has become a cultural phenomenon.

Perhaps a space adventure could appeal to the casual viewers who flocked to Game of Thrones if done well enough.

A much celebrated video game series will return.

And The Expanse looks better than ever!

Last edited by SpaceCDR; 11-14-2020 at 05:35 AM.
Old 11-14-2020, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

I keep hearing how good The Expanse is but I'm the type of person who would like to read the books first. So far I've read the first one which was good but still left a lot of questions in my mind. Which I suppose means I should keep reading to get answers. I read the GOT books first as well.

I guess it's weird sci-fi books I don't mind but sci-fi tv shows I never really got into.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

With most stereotypes there's some truth behind them.

But it doesn't mean it's true for everyone. In the past I've enjoyed reading sci-fi but never really cared to watch it much. For whatever reason.

Since having kids my reading for pleasure time has reduced allot. I now read kids books and small novels to the kids. But my own reading has mostly been limited to things that help me career or parenting wise and some hunting magazines.

As for a stigma against sci-fi... I don't really see it. It sells. It sells big. So it must be doing alright.

-Jake
Old 11-14-2020, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

I think you're mistaking quality of content for genre in making such a statement. If you remember (maybe you were too young), Star Trek and Lost in Space were popular TV shows all the way back in the 60's with Star Trek achieving cult like status and spawning several movies and new TV series based loosely on the original TV show. They even have a name for Star Trek fans called Trekkies. I was never into Battlestar Galactica (kind of campy) but watched Star Trek when it originally aired from the first episode and have watched it again numerous times. If you think about it, Star Trek was the beginning of the end for westerns in TV programming.
Old 11-14-2020, 04:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just because it Sifi doesn't meant is worth watching.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Stygma?...where you been hiding?

How many seasons did these run?
Battlestar Galactica...4 seasons and 77 episodes
Battlestar Galactica 1978....2 seasons and 24 episodes and another 10 in 1980
Babylon 5...........5 seasons, 110 episodes, 6 TV movies and 1 spinoff that only lasted a season.
Star Trek (all not just the original)...LOTS and its still going with Discovery and Picard. Plus a new one in production atm called Strange New Worlds
The Expanse....5 seasons and 56 episodes and still going
Krypton.......2 seasons so far.
The 100....7 seasons and 100 episodes
Lost in Space....well you are getting the idea i hope

This list just scratches the surface. There are many many more like Firefly and that only lasted a season. I loved Dark Matter. It lasted 3 seasons and 39 episodes before Syfy pulled the plug.

NightFlyers was good too. Nice special effects in HD and a interesting story
Old 11-16-2020, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not seeing the stigma either. At least not in the last 30+ years.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am not sure the OP knows the meaning of the word stigma.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Personally i just get the feeling he posts tidbits here and there to generate forum activity. Maybe part of his posts dont show for some reason. Like a link or ad?
Old 11-19-2020, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

for the most part I cannot stand CGI and sci fi!
good sci fi is ok.... but CGI is terrible! and the 2 usually go hand in hand.

I'd rather watch claymation from the original king kong than cgi....it's worse than cartoons.

I also tend to like real stories, real movies, real actors delivering real dialogue....

look at the oscars, I think most agree, what constitutes a quality film, dramas....

I remember being excited for the 1st transformers.....I was like I'll wait until megan foxx comes on screen, I couldn't even make it til that point I had to change the channel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.