Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Keeping in Shape >

Keeping in Shape

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Keeping in Shape

Old 04-03-2020, 05:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by ButchA View Post
Northern Virginia has closed a lot of it's parks and public boat launches. VA Beach has done the same. Thankfully here in Richmond, we're still okay (for now). Gov "Blackface" Northam hasn't shut everything down (yet). The parks still open, but playgrounds are closed. Outdoor WMA's for hunting & fishing are still open. Boat ramps are still open. I can get out my kayak and go fishing on the James River without getting in trouble, or take a drive out to one of the smaller WMA lakes and fish for crappies and smallmouth bass.

Edit: As far as staying in shape... Seriously, you wouldn't really think, but, paddling a kayak is a great form of exercise! It works your arms, shoulders, and (from what I've heard) even works your abs - as you are maintaining balance, sitting upright, scrunched up in a kayak, etc..
in California they arrested a guy paddle boarding alone on the ocean for not obeying the stay at home orders. Wow.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:12 AM
Dominant Buck

I hear rumors that they will be closing our fishing accesses. I can still launch my fishing boat from my place if I need to. I fish alone so I am following all social distancing rules.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander View Post
I hear rumors that they will be closing our fishing accesses. I can still launch my fishing boat from my place if I need to. I fish alone so I am following all social distancing rules.
I did the same thing this afternoon... Not a soul around! I had this small fishing pond all to myself!!

Edit: This was at Powhatan Lakes... i.e. part of Powhatan WMA (wildlife management area)... hunting, fishing, etc...

Attached Thumbnails Keeping in Shape-91963799_10158307333802072_241045375811584000_o.jpg  
Old 04-04-2020, 02:25 AM
Dominant Buck

I used to run but an old sports injury and old age made that knee pretty tender. Sooner or later I will have to get it replaced...but I am hoping later is the plan.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not going out to eat during the Corona virus has lightened me up a little. I find myself walking alot at work, up and down stairs, hanging 30-100 pound pieces of electrical conduit the past 6 weeks. Add the upcoming Turkey season and hiking I should be in decent shape this summer.
Old 04-19-2020, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Yesterday was supposed to be a trail race in North Central PA. A 25k with nearly 5,000 ft of gain if I remember correctly. It was cancelled of course.

I did 18 miles at a local park and got almost 2,000 ft of gain. It's hard to get gain here in this area of Ohio without doing a ton of hill repeats.

Legs a little sore today but I felt good during the run yesterday.

I was supposed to be doing a 50 miler on May 2nd. I don't know what I'll do in place of that. I can't see myself doing 50 miles for fun on my own. Plus I think thats the first day of turkey. So I may have to wimp out on that one.

​​​​-Jake
Old 04-19-2020, 02:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

I walk with my setter, it isn't necessary to go to a gym in order to keep fit. We walk as fast as I can and circumvent the block my home is on. I used to lift heavy free weights every other day when I was teaching self defense and arrest tactics, that is not necessary now but I still work on fitness.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 04-19-2020 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-19-2020, 03:12 PM
Dominant Buck

I have strong wrists, biceps and forearms from continuous fishing rod reeling. Occasionally I get repetitive motion syndrome...lol.
Old 04-19-2020, 05:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I get out and ride my ol' classic 1985 Fuji road bicycle, but I refuse to wear all that goofy looking spandex bicycle clothing and stuff like that. No need for someone who's a "little light in their loafers" to be staring at my junk explicitly outlined in a pair of bicycle shorts! Sorry... modesty prevails... I'm not into that scene and it just ain't happening!

Other times, I go kayaking on the river or small lakes and go fishing. Kayaking is a great upper body workout.

Or else, depending on the weather (and my knees) I still try to go out and go running (3 or 4 miles max) and end up paying the price later. It's weird when your body reminds you of your true age, but your brain says, "c'mon man, we can still do this!"