Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Torn/Ruptured Achilles Tendon >

Torn/Ruptured Achilles Tendon

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Torn/Ruptured Achilles Tendon

Old 12-06-2019, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default Torn/Ruptured Achilles Tendon

Put this here because I saw no other place. I tore/ruptured my Achilles on Tuesday doing what I have done many times over the years, crossing a board fence. That said, I am 72 but fairly active and am curious as to what they do to old guys with this injury. Has anyone here had the injury and what was the procedure for helping you? Esp. older fellows. I will know more as soon as I get an MRI. Oddly it didn't hurt all that bad but I heard the classic "pop". Thanks
Old 12-06-2019, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Hey redmag,
Sorry to hear about your Achilles heel. That sounds painful. I moved this topic to the Off Season forum because I think you'll get more views and potential answers. Hope your surgery and rehab goes well.
CalHunter
Old 12-11-2019, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never had it, but a friend has (he's 60). The rehab is not much fun at the beginning, but then gets better. Stretching and calf strengthening I believe is good preventative
Old 12-11-2019, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Haven't done it myself, but have had a few significant injuries.

Therapy is the key. Put the work in. Ask your PT what you can do extra at home. Ask your doctor what you can be doing now that will make the surgery and recovery a little smoother. Might be something little like flexing your calf or thigh muscle repeatedly. But it all adds up and makes a difference.

The Achilles is a major injury and you may not be able to expect a "full recovery" but it largely depends on what shape you were in pre injury and what you can accomplish in your recovery. You may even come out ahead after the months of rehab.
Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.
-Jake
Old 12-12-2019, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info.. I cannot get an MRI until next Weds, and then (as of now) I cannot see the Dr. until 24 December. At that time I will find out what has to be done. I have elevated and iced it each day since I hurt it. Today for some reason it feels remarkably good as the swelling and bruising is going away. I desperately need it to be ok by April. Anyone have a clue as to recovery time if I do the right things.. I am old (72) but in good shape esp. for that age. Thanks
Old 12-12-2019, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

For most athletes its a year + recovery time before they're back playing. I don't know what that looks like for someone at your age, and expected performance level. Obviously you're not jumping through the roof, planting, and cutting like an NBA or NFL athlete. But I would guess that April is really rushing it. Although you may be back to walking fine by then.

I really don't know. I have no Achilles experience.

-Jake
Old 12-14-2019, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

No idea how bad yours is, I trashed mine at the same time as I broke my ankle. Rehab is a process and I'd plan on it being intensive if you ever expect full mobility. I still can't squat without going onto my toes with my injured ankle, I have less than half the up vertical movement in my injured Achilles as I have in the other, likely due to scar tissue. I tried everything except the knife. Mine hurt like the dickens for years but did get progressively better.

Physical therapy, backpacking, weight training, and Yoga. In my opinion, Yoga was the most helpful, you learn to deal with the pain without meds. The only pain meds I took were Marijuana and Bourbon. This was when I was in my early twenties now in my sunset years I imagine healing would take much longer.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:18 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Mudder, I am in good shape for an old guy, maybe hard of hearing thanks to the USAF, but this injury scares me. I will do all I can to recover as fast as I can. I don't want to hobbled during spring turkey season in April. Thanks
Old 12-15-2019, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

After I had mine reconstructed, when I was 16. It was 5 months before I was down hill skiing again.
In a cast for three months and a walking cast for another month. With shoe lifts in the heel of my shoe for a month.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

That doesn't sound good for me. I will turkey hunt somehow even if I have to crawl off my atv. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.