Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Motorcycle season '19

Old 03-17-2019, 03:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I remember the inline 6 cylinder Honda CBX. What a monster!

A very good friend of mine (he might still be on this forum... maybe... maybe not...) has owned various bikes of all flavors for years and years and years. He currently rides an absolutely gorgeous, fully loaded, Honda Goldwing. AM/FM/CD/MP3/and even XM Satellite. GPS navigation screen built into the gas tank. Name it, and the bike has it. Unbelievable machine... The thing is like a 2 wheeled RV (don't tell my buddy I said that!), and is so heavy that it has electronic reverse!

Getting into the topic of fast sport bikes, I remember back when my daughter was dating a guy who had a Kawasaki Ninja-something-whatever... He was a real piece of work, let's not go there, and just say that thank God they broke up... Anyway, back when things were on better terms, he knew I rode even before he was born, so one time when he was at the house, he let me take his Kawi for a spin around the neighborhood sidestreets. All I have known are "old school" standard Honda CB-750's and the current line of today's cruisers. I never got into "crotch rockets" and never really rode them -- until he let me ride his Kawi Ninja whatever-it-was...
-- My nuts were getting crushed in the seat, as I was leaning way too far forward.
-- My belly was resting on the gas tank.
-- My feet were almost positioned where the passenger pegs are on my Honda Shadow 750!
-- My neighborhood streets are 25mph and 35mph... When I got out onto the main 35mph section, I hit the gas and was doing 50 and only in 3rd gear! I quickly realized the incredible power and quickness of a sportbike. I slowed down, carefully turned around in a side street cul-de-sac, and slowly came back home. I handed the guy the key after I parked it back in my driveway, and told him, "Please be careful... " and walked away shaking my head.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Like I said, you are the the position of a muskrat taking a dump in a marsh on a crotch rocket!
Old 03-17-2019, 04:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

OMG, Oldtimr... Don't do that to me! Ha ha ha ha... I almost spit my drink all over my laptop!
Old 03-17-2019, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Oldtimr View Post
Like I said, you are the the position of a muskrat taking a dump in a marsh on a crotch rocket!
It's a good thing they aren't designed to be the most comfortable. If they were they'd be an incredible failure

-Jake
Old 03-17-2019, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I test rode a Buell 1125R one year. I hit somewhere around 150mph and then i realized i still had a gear to go. It was crazy smooth for that kind of speed too. REALLY loved that bike but i knew i would die on it so i passed.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ive been looking at the Maxi scooters. Not sure if you ever rode one like the old Bergman but they are a hoot to ride and REALLY comfortable. Well BMW has the 650GT, Suzuki still has the Bergman and Aprillia has a 850cc beast with a vtwin. Not sure if you can get the Aprillia in the USA though. I did test ride a used Beemer 650 a couple years ago.
http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%...18/AN650Z.aspx
https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/mo...ty/c650gt.html

Biggest deal is they are all over $10k....BUT.....then i saw this. I rode the first year Can Am Spyder but could not justify the cost. LOVED the old motor they used. Nearly the same motor as the Buell. (both Rotax Vtwins)

This puppy though you can get into for $10k in the 900cc inline triple. Looks like a hoot.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I really dislike the way those backassward trikes look. I don't now how they ride, I just don't like them. Someone used to make a 3 wheeled car and they kinda look like them, didn't like the looks of them either. I guess I am way too traditional, but there you have it.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

From what I understand, those Can-Am style reverse-trikes handle really well for what they are. The front tires steer just like a car, but also with the camber and caster (i.e. leaning into a curve) angle of a motorcycle tire.

To me, they just appear like a giant size snowmobile on wheels!
Old 03-26-2019, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd love to ride but I can't due to a workplace injury. This is what I have.
Attached Thumbnails Motorcycle season '19-img_0107-2-.jpg  
Old 03-26-2019, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sunset bought a sweet electra glide last year. I hear she has been putting miles on it. I was supposed to meet her last August and ride, but it didn't work out.