Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Where is everyone?

Old 01-06-2019, 06:45 PM
Typical Buck

As a former "Lifer" back before the big blowup I can tell you why many of the old timers left. It was because of the heavy handed moderation. Back before the blowup, Off Season would have 4 or more pages of new posts per day. As it is now, I only check in maybe twice a year only to see who has died.
Moderators can kill a forum or keep it going in the right direction. Moderators that had an ego problem should have been banned before the forum went down the tubes.
From what I see now (which isn't much) the remaining and new mods are much better than the old crew.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Interesting observation. I agree that the existing active mods are a credit to the site. When acting in a mod capacity there has to be a balance between doing the job and personal posting. I found that personal posting wasn't as much fun when wearing that mod hat. One of the problems you were referring to in the past were mods that made a lot of personal posting and used their power position unfairly to win arguments and debates. Thankfully, the site took appropriate action and the people who didn't quite fit the leadership mold were allowed to go back to regular member status.
I'll add this as an afterthought. The good old days were indeed fun. To return to the active site requires people to get back in the habit of posting here. It all starts with each member wanting to build it back up. Welcoming both new and old members is important. Every member lost for whatever reason is one that can't be part of a rebuild. I am a member of a few other forums all of which are more active than this site but I still consider HNI my favorite. I like the layout and the mods. So if you were a former heavy hitter here and would like to see it pick up get busy posting.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 01-07-2019 at 04:01 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
As a former "Lifer" back before the big blowup I can tell you why many of the old timers left. It was because of the heavy handed moderation. Back before the blowup, Off Season would have 4 or more pages of new posts per day. As it is now, I only check in maybe twice a year only to see who has died.
Moderators can kill a forum or keep it going in the right direction. Moderators that had an ego problem should have been banned before the forum went down the tubes.
From what I see now (which isn't much) the remaining and new mods are much better than the old crew.
I agree with all of this. There were 2 main problem Moderators and both are no longer a mod. People need to be able to tease each like like Butch mentioned above without it becoming some moderator incident. Over-moderation or even too much PC will kill a forum (no hunting pun intended). Personally, I tend to lean towards the "lifers" as they are the heart of any forum. New members are great and bring needed new blood to a forum but not all of them jump in or matriculate to lifer status quickly.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm still around, tho I don't post much at all anymore, maybe come here about every 3 to 4 months to read only. It definitely is not the same as years ago, but time marches on.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Great to see you are still around Priz.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Priz!!! Welcome back!! How have you been?
Old 01-08-2019, 06:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey great start. Weasel, Myself, Cal, Priz and ButchA all on page 3 along with mounting man, Mr.Slim, Lunkerdog, rbduck and Elkman on previous pages.. Lots of years added to the mix. We all were around in the good old days. Lets see if a few more of the past hero's can come to the table and post a few more times. So what's the difference between now and way back then...only a thousand regulars. They are out there...come on back.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 01-09-2019 at 07:09 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ButchA View Post
Priz!!! Welcome back!! How have you been?
Butch, I have been hanging in there. as you know, my wife passed in June of '17, so it was time to determine what is really important in life. I have been doing quite a bit with the kids and the grandson.
I plan on semi retiring in June of this year, just going to work a day or two a week. Going to do a lot of fishing all around, maybe a few fishing trips around the state of Wisconsin. Generally, going to enjoy the time I have, we are not getting any younger you know. You never know when the big man is going to call !!!
My health is holding up very well, no issues except I would like to lose a few pounds, don't we all !!!!
To all the old timers out there, may God bless.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I remember that Priz... A lot of us remember when you lost your wife. Still so sad and heartbreaking.

I hope all is okay with you and it's great to see you back posting on HNI!
Old 01-10-2019, 03:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok , add my name to the list of old timers. Me and 5-shot were here before this site was hunting.net. Glad to see mounting man errr "wounded weenie" and some of the old gang still kicking. Weasel was right...… it was the heavy handed mods who killed this site.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service