Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Anyone use a treadmill for exercise? >

Anyone use a treadmill for exercise?

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Anyone use a treadmill for exercise?

Old 08-05-2018, 04:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Anyone use a treadmill for exercise?

I don't know if anyone has a treadmill at home, or has used one in a gym or not, but my wife has always wanted one for some reason. Anyway, I was checking out Craigslist on the internet here in town last weekend, and stumbled upon a nice, hardly used, treadmill for only $100 bucks. I immediately contacted the young couple about it, asking right away, "What's wrong with it...". Well, honest - NOTHING was wrong with it! They bought it a number of years ago, used it a little, and then it just sat in their downstairs den, and became a coat rack. The guy said his wife said, "..just get rid of it", so since they both joined a gym, they didn't want it anymore. The guy said, "It's still perfect for being about 8 years old - how's $100 sound?"

I checked out prices of treadmills (brand new), googled the make/model of this treadmill, read reviews, and realized the guy was making a mistake on the price. So I immediately said, "It's a deal... What's your address? My wife and I will be there this afternoon to pick it up!". Man, we rushed down there and checked it out. Great looking treadmill that works fine. Man, to be honest - we literally STOLE this thing for $100 bucks! Those things (brand new) are upwards of $800 - $1200 in the big sporting goods stores!

Anyone have treadmill and/or offer any advice about them. These things are cool!

Horizon T500 treadmill
Still in perfect condition for being lightly used. So many features and auto-program buttons, my wife and I had to download the .pdf file owners manual and read it!
Old 08-05-2018, 04:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hit Planet Fitness every afternoon when I head home from work. Normally I spend an hr on an elliptical machine but every once in a while I'll hit the tread mill. I prefer the elliptical though. I used to do a lot of running but an accident left me with 2 screws and a pin holding my right ankle together so I get my cardio this way now. You can get a good workout on a treadmill but if you place a foot a little to the side and get off the track it will fling you right off.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

I used to have a good one. I walked on it every morning, I never could seem to get anywhere on it.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by flags View Post
I hit Planet Fitness every afternoon when I head home from work. Normally I spend an hr on an elliptical machine but every once in a while I'll hit the tread mill. I prefer the elliptical though. I used to do a lot of running but an accident left me with 2 screws and a pin holding my right ankle together so I get my cardio this way now. You can get a good workout on a treadmill but if you place a foot a little to the side and get off the track it will fling you right off.
LOL... Tell me about it, Chief!

My wife and I read all through the manual, and while she simply walks on it or sets the incline button to "walk uphill" for a workout, I got a little crazy with it and pressed too fast of a speed (Mph) button. Man, I had to hold onto those handlebars and run in a sprint like I was being chased by a mean Rottweiler!!! Darn thing almost threw me into the wall behind me!!! Ha ha ha...
Old 08-05-2018, 06:59 AM
Dominant Buck

I used one in my cardio rehab but like flags liked the elliptical better. When the rehab gym membership expired I re-upped for another 3 months but when summer weather came that 35 mile each way trip kind of soured me. I bought a stepper type machine ( Bowflex Max M5 ) for the house but it bothers my knee so I ride my mountain bike hard most days for about 45 minutes to get the exercise. Bike riding works well for my bad knee which came as a result of a sports injury.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

I've put allot of miles on a treadmill. Would much rather be on pavement or preferably a trail somewhere. But with little kids at home, the treadmill gets used more than I'd like to use it.

I always buy them used, as allot of people buy them and never really use them. Then like you said, they sell them a few years later at a steeply discounted price.

-Jake
Old 08-06-2018, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would guess most "old" treadmills in people's basements have very low usage! We used to have one, it was more of a laundry drying rack though.

I've run on them in the past at the gym, my issue was your stride changes and that led to hip pain/issues. Walking UPHILL on them is good though. I prefer spinning bikes!
Old 08-06-2018, 09:13 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm on my third one to get moved in and out of the house for the wife. Turns out the third one was the charm. This one is a walking desk. So she gets on it while she is working. Her booth babe also jumps on it for an hour or so as she is working.

For me, Crossfit. Its awesome and gets better once you realize you just need to survive and not keep up with the youngins
Old 09-06-2018, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats why theirs mountains for.
Bobby
Old 06-16-2020, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator

Interested in a follow up Butch. Did you use the dreadmill much or has it returned to it's life as a clothes rack?

-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.