Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Please, don't be "that guy" >

Please, don't be "that guy"

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Please, don't be "that guy"

Old 04-13-2018, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I was doing an economics class a few years ago, one portion of the banking class was talking about the fact that somewhere around 80% of people in the US have less than $1000. So even if you take this portion of the info you provide about how many are saving, most appear to be putting that money into savings but then taking it right back out to pay for something they are not originally calculating for in the first place.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Seven out of ten living on your street are living paycheck to paycheck.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

The issue of some of them are trying to live beyond their means as well. I have seen it here as well several different areas where some that are making good money waste it. They want to try and live like someone rich. Plus their friend has a bunch of play toys (4 wheelers and the like ) so they have to get one better than them. Then they complain because they don’t have any money and live pay check to pay check.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tell this as personal advice, to the folks I train to work as field biologists (fishery observers). Most are 1-5 years out of college. "Time and compound interest are your friends."

Two guys, Mr. A & Mr. B, born on the same day. Mr. A starts an account for $250 in an investment fund that earns 7% compound annually, and then puts in $50/mo from his 21st birthday to his 31st birthday, and then stops. The account still earning 7% compound interest annually.

Mr. B does the same, but he waits until his 31st birthday to start; $250 to open and then $50/mo for 7% compound interest annually. He does this until his 65th birthday.

Who reaches age 65 with more $$? Mr. A does. Do the math.

When I show the graphs to my class, some eyes open.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

Thumbs down Everyone needs a bragger - glad gov has worked for you

flags,

The rest of us, that where "life dealt us different circumstances", can say "hey, they(Gov) haven't done me any favors!"

On the other hand... There's way too many that are supported by half a55'd programs costing, we, tax payers billions.

I understand where you're coming from, and honestly despise it. With your "I'm on my second retirement!" That takes jobs away from the kids (young adults) from getting into the industries. I'll go out on a limb and say "Thank you for serving" and your professing to being guilty of being selfish.

Ya, it's gonna benefit you and yours but with the average US wage being somewhere in the 45-50K range for a family, some working multiple jobs??? Jump down off your horse!

REM7600

Originally Posted by flags View Post
This is one of the reasons I stayed in the Navy for the long haul. I get a navy pension check on the first of every month and am working on my second pension as a teacher. Add is social security and my personal investments and I should be OK come retirement time in 8 years.

Last edited by REM_7600; 05-02-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Not sure I agree with what I think you are saying. Flags worked his military career which normally doesn't last the normal 30 to 40 years many put into a private sector job. Most retirees I know from the military need to work a second job to equate to a private sector career retirement. I believe flags...in the spirit of this thread said he was doing his teaching job to prepare for his eventual retirement in 8 years. My opinion is... his actions are commendable. He is taking care of his personal finances regarding retirement which is what Fm's message was when he started the thread. About 5 to 7 years ago my younger brother retired from his Navy career as a Senior Chief Petty Officer and now works for a large defense contractor here in Vermont. He is around the same age as flags and has the same timetable for a full retirement when he can focus on hunting and fishing. I thank both he and flags for their service and believe both are working towards their eventual retirement in a logical way..

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 05-02-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

CI, at least we can agree to disagree.

In my my opinion this occurs entirely too often in the private sector as well. "Let's make a special position fr this person because they have worked for us for 32 years"

I appreciate military service. On every trip I take, I walk up to a person in uniform at the airport and hand them $100, most refuse but I insist. The last ole boy finally taking it after declining and I told him to spend it on his kids. I got an unexpected hug from his woman 30 minutes later, he was just returning from deployment.

As for working after retirement? Unless it's a self employed position or similar, sorry, I don't buy it.

REM7600

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander View Post
Not sure I agree with what I think you are saying. Flags worked his military career which normally doesn't last the normal 30 to 40 years many put into a private sector job. Most retirees I know from the military need to work a second job to equate to a private sector career retirement. I believe flags...in the spirit of this thread said he was doing his teaching job to prepare for his eventual retirement in 8 years. My opinion is... his actions are commendable. He is taking care of his personal finances regarding retirement which is what Fm's message was when he started the thread. About 5 to 7 years ago my younger brother retired from his Navy career as a Senior Chief Petty Officer and now works for a large defense contractor here in Vermont. He is around the same age as flags and has the same timetable for a full retirement when he can focus on hunting and fishing. I thank both he and flags for their service and believe both are working towards their eventual retirement in a logical way..
Old 05-02-2018, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter View Post
Many people, sadly, have a similar attitude to mine. I won't be able to retire. Not with the way our government is going. That isn't stopping me from utilizing what I can to save. But I know that what I have, IF I get to that age. Will primarily be for burial.
What does government have to do with your retirement?

Cracks me up when people saysI can't retire until X. No. You can't collect SS, that you paid 6% of your wages towards. If you declare your wages.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:07 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine View Post
The issue of some of them are trying to live beyond their means as well. .
Yep.

People say how middle class are worse off now. 40 years ago, 1 car, 1-2 phones on the wall, 1 tv, 1 toilet, 2 kids in a bedroom. No AC, no internet, on and on.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by REM_7600 View Post
CI, at least we can agree to disagree.

In my my opinion this occurs entirely too often in the private sector as well. "Let's make a special position fr this person because they have worked for us for 32 years"
So are you saying this person who is given a supplemental retirement job is taking bread out of the mouth of a younger worker? That person taking the after retirement job is doing so for one or more of the following:
1- He/ she might have a need to work. Some people are wired to work until they can no longer get out of bed. Those type of people are always saying "I need to stay busy". Most I know that fall into that category don't have much going on for hobbies or alternate ways to spend their days.
2- They need the money to live since retirement pay doesn't support their lifestyle. Many people unfortunately fall into this category many through poor judgement like having gone through a costly late in life divorce which can strip them of half their retirement savings. This scenario is very common.
3- People need supplemental savings to prepare for retirement to sustain their lifestyle. Stats say retirement income should be around 80 percent of their working income to keep that lifestyle.

I appreciate military service. On every trip I take, I walk up to a person in uniform at the airport and hand them $100, most refuse but I insist. The last ole boy finally taking it after declining and I told him to spend it on his kids. I got an unexpected hug from his woman 30 minutes later, he was just returning from deployment.
Good for you. Not something I would do.

As for working after retirement? Unless it's a self employed position or similar, sorry, I don't buy it.
I guess nobody will be changing your mind. I wonder how you came to take this position. It sounds like you were on the negative side of a job that went to someone else. I worked for 34 years for one company...the only job I ever had. That was enough for me. Looking out the front window the lake is dead calm. Time to go out fishing. I am glad I don't have to go to a job.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.