Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
How many are preparing to replace theirCentral air systems? >

How many are preparing to replace theirCentral air systems?

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

How many are preparing to replace theirCentral air systems?

Old 07-25-2017, 12:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default How many are preparing to replace theirCentral air systems?

How many of you are getting ready to replace their central air conditioning systems due to R22 no longer being manufactured and there is only a limited amount available. In addition, you may not put the new refrigerant in a system that contained R22. You must replace the entire system except for the ductwork. I just made arrangements today to replace mine because I decided not to wait until all the R22 runs out and R22 is becoming more expensive all the time due to limited availability. The company that installed my present system was offering $750.00 replacement so I decided to get it done this September and get it over with before the rush for replacement begins. I got a good deal and between the rebate from my electric company, the discount of 5% because I am an existing customer with the sell/installer I got a nice discount from them as well. There also is a nice tax credit by the IRS. It isn't inexpensive, about 3 grand more than my existing unit cost but it comes with a 10 year guarantee on the unit and a lifetime guarantee on the compressor as long as I own the house. I am curious about how many may be considering making this move sooner rather than later.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's something that I don't have to worry about because the 100 year old house I'm in has forced hot water baseboard heat throughout. I have a few small air conditioners in windows at various spots and just use them as needed when in that area of the house. The one that is used most is a small one in the main bedroom and it runs 8-10 hours every night this time of the year. The others are on timers and only run an hour or two, as needed.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I replaced mine about 2 years ago, unit was 15 years old and couldn't keep up. No discounts except the one through electric company, but Trane was running a deal with a credit card that did 0% interest for 60 months. So instead of hitting the payment at once just spread it out over 12.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Yep, thank you EPA for bending Americans over a barrel a little further.

I already knew this about the change. My main floor unit has had a leak for the last few years. Every other year or so, I need a recharge. System is about 16 years old but I'm not ready to replace it yet. It's a big one compared to my other two. In the end, we are all in the same boat. The new systems aren't built like they used to be. The copper lines wear quicker and get pin hole leaks. Then your buying refrigerant anyway. The joys of being a home owner. Almost forgot, one of my rentals needs another unit too. Lol. Oh well.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

I got the best of both worlds. Radiant heat and central AC. Doubt I will stock up though. My unit is over 30 years old. Its a gamble on life of either.

Wait until you see the AC coolant in some cars.