Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Oh,Rural living! >

Oh,Rural living!

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Oh,Rural living!

Old 07-26-2016, 02:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Dry hot weather in the mid west could bring on EHD in August. Time for some rain.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:19 AM
New Sheriff

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf View Post
The row crop farmers around here spread chicken litter as fertilizer in the spring. When the wind kicks up, you're sure to smell something foul.

Get it? Foul? As in, fowl?

I'll be here all night. Be sure to tip your waiter.
Huntngrl, is that you?
Old 07-26-2016, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander View Post
Dry hot weather in the mid west could bring on EHD in August. Time for some rain.
We have brown leaves on some trees from the intense heat but a lot of trees are already showing their fall appearance. I suspect the local trees to be quite barren early this year.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 07-26-2016 at 05:56 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:51 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mr4pt View Post
Huntngrl, is that you?
Mmmm, no. Did she like bad puns?
Old 07-27-2016, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hot weather and hen houses are a BAD combination. About 25+ yrs ago, a heat wave in No. AL killed a whole lot of chickens. After 1 day, the hourly rate for chicken picker-uppers went up each day for 4 days.

The stench from the burn pits was ... horrendous.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
Happy to report I could go sit out naked here except for the mosquitoes and deer flies. Mosquitoes not real bad here this year due to the lack of rain, Deer flies how ever are awful.
We are lucky as all the farms surrounding us are crops, one horse farm, so we get the dust at planting time and fertilizer smell right after they have planted. We also get the noise at harvest but when you have 6 big combines in a field it doesn't last to long.

Al
I hear you. They're pretty bad in my area before I spray. Thanks to my insurance company, I purchased a 55 gallon sprayer for my tractor. I mix up 50 gallons of bug killer and spray my yard and surrounding landscaping. It does a great job at knocking them down for a few months. for a more permanent solution, I say it every year that I'm going to build a few bat houses. Those are still on the honey do list lol.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I have bat houses up but they don't seem to do much with the deer flies.
Would never do whole scale spraying either since there are hundreds of beneficial bugs not to mention my Honey bees feeding on things all summer when there is enough moisture.

Al
Old 07-28-2016, 05:24 PM
Dominant Buck

I understand, the first time we did it, my son was so upset because of the praying mantis we have released each year. However tonight, I'm enjoying my ponderosa without being eaten by mosquitos. There is something to be said for that.