Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
2016 Spring Garden Thread. >

2016 Spring Garden Thread.

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

2016 Spring Garden Thread.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Broccoli, peppers, tomatoes, squash and watermelon all set on the far end of the garden. Beans and corn planted and potatoes all side dressed and hilled the old fashioned way with my push cultivator and hoe. Cucumbers, sweet potatoes and a 2nd planting of corn in a couple weeks.
Attached Thumbnails 2016 Spring Garden Thread.-2016-garden.jpg  
Old 05-17-2016, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Nice Garden.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I get a decent amount for so little footage i use. Finally got around to taking pics. The weather has been a bit cool so a couple of my peppers have done very badly. Specifically the habanero and lemon drops are barely hanging in there.

Super Chili didnt mind. I have about 4 in pots.

Herb box, Rosemary, Greek oregano, French thyme, lemon thyme, creeping thyme and a small lambs quarter. Its usually considered a weed but there not bad eating either. Very high in vitamin. Only the Rosemary and French thyme were planted this year. The others survived the winter. A volunteer dill made it too.

More of the creeping thyme and globe basil. LOVE LOVE LOVE the globe basil. Its very hardy and strong in flavor. Spinach in the upper right. I had 3 containers like those. Got a ton of spinach for such a small space.

Thia sweet basil. Also very hardly and lasts all summer. The flavor is much different than most basil.

Another lambs quarter in front, pepper patch and a dill patch near the wall. That small bush is catnip. The leaves are massive for catnip. I guess it loved the black cow composted manure and mushroom compost.

Asian long beans, snow peas and 2 serrano peppers. There are 3 stalks of lemon grass too. Those 3 stalks will turn into 20+ by fall.

My 8ft tall trellis. More snow peas, Asian long beans. There are also 2 kinds of gherkins. Indian burr gherkins and some Mexican sour gherkins but those haven't germinated yet. These are more like a vine gourd than your typical cucumber.

Curly parsley and some more dill

Roma and some cherry tomatoes in cat litter buckets. The cool wet weather has been hard on them too.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 05-26-2016 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's been a little dry here but my garden is surviving,
Attached Thumbnails 2016 Spring Garden Thread.-garden-2016.jpg  
Old 06-27-2016, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm giving up on mine until the fall now. The deer decided to take it over and are wiping it out. I will have to put up a 5 strand electric fence to keep them out this fall.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really should have planted veggies this year. The rains have been steady and predictable. I've only had to water twice so far this year. Two or three days of sun, then a nice rain and repeat.

I plant a lot of Berries. I've got a whole bunch of thornless Blackberries growing, looks like a bumper crop. Grapes are growing like crazy. Gooseberries are doing well. Raspberries are having an off year.

Plumes are doing well. Apples are a bust this year, we had a hard frost right when the trees were blooming. Likely what caused my Raspberries issues also.

May 65 year old Walnut tree is going to drop (literally) a ton of nuts this year.

I've thinned maybe 6 cubic yards of growth out of my garden and it is still way overgrown.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 06-29-2016 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gm54-120 Have you tried Melissa (Melisa Balm or another name Lemon Mellisa). Seems like it would fit in well with your other plants. Super easy to grow, hardy, makes a really good Tea, or part of a Salad, also keeps the Mosquitoes away.

I use it as a rub when I go hunting, keeps the skeeters off and helps cover my scent.

Pretty much grows like a weed, but a good weed.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had some kind plant like that the first year here. Not sure if it was lemon balm or a mosquito plant....Nope it was a mosquito plant.

I use the lemon grass in Thai style food mostly. Its a must for Thai hot and sour soup aka Tom Yum.

My yard long beans are going nuts finally. Should have a bunch in a few more days.

Red noodle beans and cukes on a trellis.

This trellis is almost 8ft tall
Old 07-01-2016, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice gardens! Here's a gardening tip: I got a puppy this spring, well anyway don't let your dog see you weeding in the garden, doggy see doggy do!
Old 07-01-2016, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Beans I planted this year didn't do squat, best guess is some sort of fungus got the beans before they could sprout. Next year I'm not going to forget to coat the seeds with a anti fungal before planting.

I planted some variety of Red Potatoes a few years back. not sure of the variety but tasty and something you can't find in the stores anymore. Dog dug them up and ate all the potatoes. I always heard raw Potatoes are poison, didn't seem to hurt him any.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.