Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
For the gear heads >

For the gear heads

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

For the gear heads

Old 07-09-2015, 04:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Default For the gear heads

Guys, I put pics on the garden thread. I apologize for hijacking it. So as I come by this stuff, I will just revive this thread. Here is an attachment I've tried to go after in the past. Very rare and unfortunately, not the right time for it now to come up. One day I will pick one of these up for my tractor. The first pic is basically my tractor with the brush hog attachment. Mine spins basically an axe at whatever rotations a second. It's a beast.

The second pic from what I was told is the chainsaw attachment. They came out before chainsaws were small enough to hold in your hand.
Attached Thumbnails For the gear heads-1965_swiftomatic_gravely_11-27-08_007.jpg   For the gear heads-_57.jpg  
Old 07-10-2015, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Love your Gravely! Didn't you have a bad motor, did you get it fixed? I need to find another one of those someday.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Yep, I pulled it apart and finally got it all back together. The heat was killing. I could only work about an hour in the early mornings doing this. Anyway, everything checked out with the exception ofthe cooling fan and my magneto, believe it or not. I got it all going and was whacking over up to three inch trees last night pushing the woods back avay from my lawn. What a beast.

I did see a pict where someone mounted a wheel barrel to the front of the gravely using the old original caltivator platform. I happen to have it, a big wheel for support. So I think I will make up some bracket and add electric dump to it so my wife can enjoy a power wheel barrel. I just need to find a big wheel barrel or buy one from Lowes.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good deal keep that machine in tip top condition, it's awesome Fieldmouse!
Old 07-13-2015, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Takes a real man to run a Gravely... Never had a chain saw attachment for it though.
-Jake
Old 07-14-2015, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Gravely sitting in my storage shed just like the one you posted, electric starter and all. I think the model is L8 (4 speeds forward and 4 speeds reverse) and it's a good all round machine for mowing, plowing, and tilling. I love my Gravleys but I have to have dual wheels, especially on a hillside or while plowing. They will roll like a log if you get them started over a bank and I have actually rolled mine over with dual wheels while brush hogging on a steep bank. Yeah, I've had mine in some tough spots but that's what they were made for. As for the chain saw attachment, I've seen 2 of them in my life but have never used one or actually seen them work.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:37 AM
Dominant Buck

That was just a picture of what mine looks like. It's not mine. Mine isn't pretty because it's a it's machine for working.

Yes, I have the dual wheels. Yes, their a must because if you do use it for more than just mowing or tilling, the dualies come in handy.

As for the chainsaw, I've never seen it working but did one time come across a blog with pics. A neighbor needed a medium tree cut in his front yard so his neighbor brought over his gravely. He said it worked like a champ. The positives I see is the horse power and ease of use. My big saw gets heavy after awhile. The negatives, would be the risk of the pinch. So I've been think about that scenario and have a few ideas.

Anyway, I'm selling my old Mercedes since its no longer needed. I may buy that saw if its still available. My wife will never know until the day I put it on my tractor.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

May I assume LBR has finally admitted your mower is better than his?
Old 07-22-2015, 09:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think I missed out on one of the classics.

It sat in the boiler room of a building I did a lot of work in on the north side of Chicago. It had a plow blade on it and I think they at one time used it for snow but had moved on to a snowblower.
I always wanted to ask about it and one day the room was all cleaned up. New lights and painted floor and it was gone. They scraped it.

Darn it! I probably would have gotten it for free.

Question. What do these things sell for? Do they still make them?
Old 07-23-2015, 01:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by uncle matt View Post
I think I missed out on one of the classics.

It sat in the boiler room of a building I did a lot of work in on the north side of Chicago. It had a plow blade on it and I think they at one time used it for snow but had moved on to a snowblower.
I always wanted to ask about it and one day the room was all cleaned up. New lights and painted floor and it was gone. They scraped it.

Darn it! I probably would have gotten it for free.

Question. What do these things sell for? Do they still make them?
They don't make them anymore but they go for between $400 to $1000 depending on the attachments that come with. Higher if you have multiple attachments. You can get newly reconditioned ones for 1300. That's all painted and purty like the day it left the factory. If you look around, someone like an old estate has one that would be willing to give it away for next to nothing. But certainly a must for any homeowner who lives in the country with a few acres. I love the brush hog.