Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Father's Day

Old 06-21-2015, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Father's Day

It was 13 years ago today (June 21, 2002) that I arrived at the Air Force Non-Commissioned Officer's Academy. At about 10:00 AM Central Time I called my father, who had just been moved into hospice, and wished him a happy Father's Day and when we had to hang up I told him "I love you Dad." I said I'd call him after class the next day.

The next day I was pulled out of class right after lunch and was told that my father had just passed away. The only solace I can take in that day was knowing that the last thing I said to him was "I love you Dad" and the last words I heard from him was "I love you too Buddy."

Since that day, I have ended every conversation I have with my spouse and children with these three simple words "I Love You" because there are no guarantees you will ever get to tell them again.

So, if your father is still living, take the time to tell him today because he might not be here tomorrow.

God Bless.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Amen!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2015, 08:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Absolutly right, I wish I still could, I lost my dad in 2004.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:37 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

My dad passed last year. The second Father's Day without him doesn't feel any easier than the first.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Spot on advice AFH! That's one of those things you never do know about.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:03 PM
Banned

spent the entire day with my maw-n-paw today. unfortunetly with day to day life, I don't do so as often as I should but tryin to make a better effort as they are both in their 80s now
Old 06-21-2015, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Dad was the ultimate provider. He was born in 1914, grew up without a dad, lost his mother when he was 15 and pretty much set out on his own. He and my mother were married in 1935 and over the next 22 years she gave birth to 15 children of which I was #12 and the first to be born in a hospital. Mom and Dad raised 15 of us and he worked and sacrificed most of his adult life to put food on the table and clothes on our back. Along the way, they taught my 8 sisters and 6 brothers and I good moral values and a work ethic. For that, I am most thankful. I was by Dad's side, holding his hand when he passed and at the time, it felt like my heart had been ripped out. I know different now because with all the memories I have of him, he will always live in my heart. He was 3 days short of his 89th birthday when he passed. Happy Fathers Day everyone.

Last edited by WVCritter; 06-21-2015 at 08:34 PM.