Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
2015 Garden Thread. >

2015 Garden Thread.

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

2015 Garden Thread.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, dogs are mans best friend, i'll have to tie one out near my garden for a few evenings as my scarecrow is slaking off, on his deer patrols as of late. I was worried that a frost got the wild blueberry blossoms, but there appears to be a bumper crop. There are so many wild blueberrys around here i can pick them from the edge of my lawn. The only advantage to having sandy, acidic, poor soil is the wild blueberrys, as i had to haul in many dump-truck loads of old horse manure to build up my lawn and garden so as to grow anything but sandburs.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to spend a lot of time on one of these in my teen years. Our Gravely was a little newer but we had the same rake.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gjersy View Post
I love your Gravely! In the mid 90's an old friend in our congregation asked me to help get his old Gravely going, so i did. He showed me all the attachments for it, it was an amazing, well built, versatile, piece of equipment. Anyway the next day he insisted i keep it, i declined as he still might use it. Again when he was dying of cancer he told our minister and I, that he wants me to have his Gravely so i graciously accepted, with his wife's blessing. After he passed his step son was getting a few choice things, so i went to get the Gravely with the minister, his step son told us to get lost. He had a junkyard come in and scrap it with most everything else, what a waste.
Wow, that was a missed opportunity there and yes, what a waste of a very well built and versatile machine. I live about 15 miles west of Dunbar, WV where these things were originally built. I will say, I have scrapped a couple transmission housings from some old Gravelys I bought for parts. I have an old late 40's LI model that was given to me for parts that I overhauled and have been using it for 3 years now. I purchased an original set of cast iron rings for it, honed the cylinder, installed them, reassembled it and it runs like a top. There are lots of parts available in this area and I have quite a few parts myself.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those junkyard scrappers usually save stuff like that, so hopefully it was. Your machines are built like a tank, glad your still repairing and using them. I got a line on some brand of old rototiller beast, it's not a Gravely but looks to be the same era & build. The guy is going to shout back a price.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Silly question. When I plant two rows of the same veg only 10 or 12"apart as per instructions, why does only one grow? Any ideas? I had to replant.

Ron
Old 06-11-2015, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rbduck View Post
Silly question. When I plant two rows of the same veg only 10 or 12"apart as per instructions, why does only one grow? Any ideas? I had to replant.

Ron
You could have planted one row to deep, or the seeds didn't stay moist.
The row that did grow had the right amount of moister.
Or some crows, or bluejays hit the row that didn't grow.

I have planted two rows of okra twice, and only one seed has come up so far.

The World May Never Know.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

My garden has a sink hole in it.
I was looking at hot it is growing.
And this little guy was in the sink hole.
I also put a couple seeds in the sink hole too.
Attached Thumbnails 2015 Garden Thread.-thursday-june-11-2015.jpg  
Old 06-11-2015, 09:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not sure what that is, looks kinda like a toad, if it is, they do not eat seeds, they eat bugs and worms. It is good to have toads in the garden.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Oldtimr View Post
Not sure what that is, looks kinda like a toad, if it is, they do not eat seeds, they eat bugs and worms. It is good to have toads in the garden.
There are a lot of toads that come out after it gets dark.
But this is a frog.
It has smoth skin, and the it has the color of the frogs that are near water.
In the bottom of the sink hole is water so that is where it came from ( I think).
Attached Thumbnails 2015 Garden Thread.-thursday-june-11-2015...jpg  
Old 06-11-2015, 10:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ok, it is very hard to see, frogs do not eat seeds either, perhaps if he sticks around, you will have given him some shade.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.