Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
2015 Garden Thread. >

2015 Garden Thread.

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

2015 Garden Thread.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks, glad to hear you have a ton of experience with it. I will pm you ifi have questions.

One another note, the old gentleman that worked on these had a nice cut away display engine. I should stop over there and inquire about it. It was unique.

The way I broke it this time I was brush hogging some tough trees I cut down. Should have rented a chipper which is what I ended up doing. Looking back, I wish I was into bow making then because these trees were something else.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

This was on the news today.
The red dot is where I live.
I got a good rain yesterday, and a good rain today.
Maybe it will rain more later this summer.
Attached Thumbnails 2015 Garden Thread.-6-2-2015-.jpg  
Old 06-02-2015, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

My garden is coming along but it's been a tough year for the potatoes. The 1st 50 lbs. I planted, rotted in the ground and so I re-plowed and planted another 50 lbs. in addition to the 25 lbs of left over potatoes from last year. It's probably going to be a down year for the potatoes but everything else is doing great.
Attached Thumbnails 2015 Garden Thread.-100_1212.jpg   2015 Garden Thread.-100_1213.jpg  
Old 06-02-2015, 06:49 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Blueberries are starting to ripen on the big bushes...whoo-hoo! Sprayed the japanese beetles again yesterday...man I hate those bugs. Doesn't seem to be as many this year as the last two...maybe I'm making a dent in the population. Watching the blackberries, waiting on them to get ripe. If they make it, looks to be a great grape harvest this year.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rbduck View Post
I finished most of my planting last week. Now we have a frost warning.

Ron
I hear you i lost some winter squash and cucumbers to frost a couple nights ago, i live in cranberry bog/swamp area, it's a micro climate and we get these late frosts that the surrounding area doesn't. The Tomatoes & peppers are covered so there fine. Going to plant the Beans, Peas & Melons tomorrow night. It's going to warm up now.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WVCritter View Post
Here's a pic of my garden back near the middle of April after I plowed and furrowed it with my Gravely walk behind tractor. I have it all planted now and will post another pic tomorrow.
I love your Gravely! In the mid 90's an old friend in our congregation asked me to help get his old Gravely going, so i did. He showed me all the attachments for it, it was an amazing, well built, versatile, piece of equipment. Anyway the next day he insisted i keep it, i declined as he still might use it. Again when he was dying of cancer he told our minister and I, that he wants me to have his Gravely so i graciously accepted, with his wife's blessing. After he passed his step son was getting a few choice things, so i went to get the Gravely with the minister, his step son told us to get lost. He had a junkyard come in and scrap it with most everything else, what a waste.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not too much to show right now...

Ron
Old 06-04-2015, 05:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by gjersy View Post
I love your Gravely! In the mid 90's an old friend in our congregation asked me to help get his old Gravely going, so i did. He showed me all the attachments for it, it was an amazing, well built, versatile, piece of equipment. Anyway the next day he insisted i keep it, i declined as he still might use it. Again when he was dying of cancer he told our minister and I, that he wants me to have his Gravely so i graciously accepted, with his wife's blessing. After he passed his step son was getting a few choice things, so i went to get the Gravely with the minister, his step son told us to get lost. He had a junkyard come in and scrap it with most everything else, what a waste.
Yes, big waste. It is the most versatile machine ever built. The amount of attachments are amazing. Like I said, they make a backhoe attachment. I should find a pic and post it.

Checkout what this little machine can turn into.

This is it with the backhoe attachment that I want to add to my collection.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...ab66004d3a.jpg

And here are many pics but mixed with others. The stump grinder would be cool to own.
http://www.google.com/search?q=grave...w=1024&bih=672

Last edited by Fieldmouse; 06-04-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Added a window box planter full of spinach and a test planting of Holland red shallots. It was a bit late for shallots but i wanted to see if the ones i get (for much less than the bulb sets) would grow.

They do grow and very easily. $2 beats the heck out of $5-15 for a set of bulbs.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LBR View Post
Blueberries are starting to ripen on the big bushes...whoo-hoo! Sprayed the japanese beetles again yesterday...man I hate those bugs. Doesn't seem to be as many this year as the last two...maybe I'm making a dent in the population. Watching the blackberries, waiting on them to get ripe. If they make it, looks to be a great grape harvest this year.
I have two blueberry bushs behind my house.
One is growing big, the other is short.
The short one had a lot getting ripe, I let my dogs out the back door, and they ran the neighbors chickens out frm the blueberries.
And the had eaten all the blueberries off the short bush.
One of them came back yesterday, and the dogs chased it around the house, it won't be eating any more blueberries.
They also ate all of my almost ripe strawberries about a week ago.
The rest of the garden is starting to grow some.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.