Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
2015 Garden Thread. >

2015 Garden Thread.

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

2015 Garden Thread.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:52 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Anyone have a remedy for japanese beetles? I think that's what they are...little green beetles that are attacking my grape vines. They seem to just eat some leaves, but the real damage appears when it's time for the grapes to ripen...they just shrivel up. They can ruin an entire harvest if not controlled. I haven't found anything that's effective over the long term...I have to spray at least a couple of times a week.

Ideas?
Old 05-25-2015, 11:01 AM
Banned

Japanese beetles are not green, they are brown with green heads. I don't know about Mississippi, but it is too early for them in PA. Sevin spray works on all beetles I know of. There aren't that many green beetles, can you post a picture.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 05-25-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:45 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

These are definitely japanese beetles. Green heads, copper wing sheaths.

Sevin works, if I spray it on them directly and reapply often. Really don't like doing that on something I eat. Pyrethrin has the same effect.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:46 AM
Little Doe Peep

Talking

If you're sure they're Japanese beetles, just shout

やめて

at them.

It means, "cut that out."
Old 05-26-2015, 07:25 AM
Banned

Finally got my garden planted this morning. Big boy Better boy and Roma tomatoes, cucumbers, parsley, rosemary to replace my 4 year old bush I lost during this past winter. Bell peppers and Jalepena peppers and egg plant. I still have to find some flat leaf parsley sets, I couldn't find any when I was buying sets, so I planted curly leaf just so I have some in case I can't get the flat leaf, which has more and better flavor. Now to watch and wait for the harvest to begin.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:44 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Sprayed my grapes today--caught the little devils in time--whoo-hoo! I think the monster rains we have been getting have kept them in check. Finally quit for a while today, so I rewarded them for their perseverance with a good dose of insecticide.

First time I saw them, they were only attacking wine grapes...Zinfandel, Cayuga, Baco Noir, and Foch. The last year or two they started attacking my muscadines and scuppernongs...NOT gonna' put up with that!

Got a new blueberry bush producing this year...holy smokes those are some huge berries! They are still green...can't wait to see them ripe! Think the name of the bush is "Excite"...they are easily 3 times as big as a regular blueberry!
Old 05-27-2015, 11:15 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Blueberries are starting to turn...should have some ripe ones any day now...
Old 05-27-2015, 11:46 AM
Banned

Ummmm blueberry pancakes.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:55 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Pancakes, muffins, ice cream, straight off the bush.....oh my.....

I planted bushes that come in early, mid, and late season. Should have them for a while once they get started...then will freeze plenty to get me through until next season.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm afraid I've lost my garden for the year. We have had so much rain that the plants and the veggies on them are rotting. I had tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, cukes, radishes, green beans, zucchini, summer squash, bush squash, onions, kale, carrots and herbs planted. Everything except the herbs, carrots and kale has gone yellow. I'm about to the point of pulling most of it up and re-planting after it quits raining. Good thing about TX is the growing season is long enough to do just that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.