Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
SNOW and School delays???????? >

SNOW and School delays????????

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

SNOW and School delays????????

Old 01-26-2015, 11:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default SNOW and School delays????????

As i've said,i was rasied way out in the rual hills of Pa. We never had a delay for snow. If it did happen,you didn't know it because you were at the bus stop waiting until the bus came! In bad snow our buses had tire chains on them.
Is it that the kids aren't tough anymore or the bus drivers can't drive?
Old 01-26-2015, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's from BOTH the reasons you cite, as well as everyone being afraid of the lawsuits that are inevitably filed by folks with no morals.

It's a complicated set of reasons .. all bad.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:00 PM
Banned

Did you ever notice how many school bus drivers are now women? They probably can't put chains on the bus tires to drive in snow so school is cancelled or delayed. That and the fear of lawsuits. We are now officially a nation of wussies! Funny how anyone of my generation survived, we went to school when it snowed, we didn't wear helmets to ride a bike, we didn't wear helmets or knee pads to roller skate, we played with sticks and rocks and swam where there were no lifeguards, we rode on sleds tied to the rear bumper of a car and still managed to grow to adulthood.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJWEvP9gtww
RR
Old 01-26-2015, 06:12 PM
Dominant Buck

I love what I saw out west. They had a spinning wheel with chains about a foot long that ran in front of the wheels. No more stopping and putting chains on. Just flip the switch and the chains began to spin and go under the tires.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:42 PM
Spike

A lot has to do with where you live. When I lived in Colorado school was rarely closed due to weather and it took a white out blizzard with 2ft+ of snow coming down to have school cancelled. Now Im out in Connecticut and school is closed a lot more as the roads freeze frequently, so we may not have much snow on the ground but if it melts during the day then freezes at night it can be a serious issue in the morning. In Colorado it wasn't as frequent of an issue. If the roads are dicey its easier/cheaper to cancel school then have a bus slide off the road.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:05 AM
Typical Buck

Oldtimr,
Let me add,if you were bullied,in school or anywhere else,you de-bullied who ever was doing it to you and things went back to normal!!!!
Old 01-27-2015, 04:06 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 8mm/06 View Post
It's from BOTH the reasons you cite, as well as everyone being afraid of the lawsuits that are inevitably filed by folks with no morals.

It's a complicated set of reasons .. all bad.
Nailed it.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

We still had school canceled here when I was a kid as well. Just not as frequent and we also hardly every had the ice storms like we had gotten last year either.. So far in the last 3 days the storms have been rolling in back to back with the one yesterday being the worst for a long time.. We had 2 feet here with high winds.. 2 days before that we had a foot of snow and we have 2 more storms on the way.. But we can take them as we are northerners.. Just before the last 2 storms hit our ground was just about bare. We are used to snow up here and Feb. and March are the 2 snowiest months of they year normally.. The Northeasters is our version of a hurricane and we survive them just fine.. Time to break out the snowmobiles and have some fun.. The last storm did give us some complete whiteouts up here and no one needs to have any kids killed or seriously hurt going to school. Besides they will have to make up for it during the early summer months so a lot of kids and parents do not care for it either.. When the parents want to plan a trip when school gets out this stuff can cut into their plans.. They have 5 snow days they can have off without any make up days. They just used 2 of them up with this last storm and hopefully they will not need anymore..
Old 01-28-2015, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wussification of America... plain and simple.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.