Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

SNOW and School delays????????

Old 01-28-2015, 07:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

8mm/06 got it when he mentioned the lawsuits and complicated reasons.

Ridge Runner and old Bucky Covington got it - it is a different world.

bugsNbows really got it!

I just went over this with someone just recently. When we were kids it was put on your long underwear and undershirt, get bundled up and Mom wrapped a scarf around your neck, stuffed your insulated socks into some bread bags, squeezed your boots on and your butt was going to school.

You got to the bus stop and if the bus didn't come (which was rare) you went back home. If you got on the bus and it died, another bus would pick you up eventually and you would get school.

BUT NOWADAYS......everyone is sue happy. Their little children are coddled and heaven forbid they are not 110% pampered and happy at all times. Like bugs said - wussified!

If a bus were to break down or they had to wait 10 extra minutes you would have parents who these days have to have everything exactly their way & right now (they make me sick), Moms would be calling for principals heads, bus drivers and companies would be getting sued because although Little Jimmy can run around with his jacket half open sledding and playing in the snow with his friends - he got a runny nose at the bus stop. Just imagine a group of angry Moms at the school board meeting after planning their verbal assault and having a few double espressos at the local coffee shop.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:48 PM
Typical Buck

Heavy fog also when I was younger a bus had a fatal accident in the fog and no when its foggy schools in that county are late same with some last year a fatal accident in light snow and now a few flakes and that county is off or late.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

liability in the modern world
Old 01-28-2015, 11:17 PM
Typical Buck

Phil in Maine,The weather you had was a whole different thing.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:17 AM
Little Doe Peep

Wink

I'm not sure it's all wussification or avoidance of liability. Sometimes it just makes sense.

Oddly enough, schools are closed today due to the fact that everything out there is covered in ice due to freezing rain overnight. (That's not common here.)

Usually we have to get about five inches or more of snow to get the schools closed. It's not that the school buses can't get around. But they also have to get by the dummies who get their cars stuck in the middle of the street because they never learned to drive in snow and/or they're driving on bald tires. And school bus drivers are not highly skilled professional drivers who put on thousands of miles a year. It makes more sense just to call off school. We get three snow days a year. If school is closed more than that, it has to be made up at the end of the year.

It's also true that many parents will buy lottery tickets instead of winter clothes for their kids. Our daughters have hooded parkas, snow boots, scarves, and warm mittens. They can stay outside for hours and be warm. And they've done it. We haven't had enough snow this winter, but last winter, they made a snow cave in the back yard and spent hours out there even having snacks in the snow cave. (They pretended the snacks were prey that they had hunted down.)

Our daughters walk to the elementary school, as I did. (Same school) They'll get bused to middle school and high school because they are on the other side of town.

We recommend wool when it gets cold

Have you ever seen a sheep shivering?
Old 01-29-2015, 07:12 AM
Typical Buck

The era i am saying about was when the school buses belonged to the school district.These were driven by the same folks whom ran our snow plows and graders for winter. The buses were parked in our township garage and these fellows would do what had to be done to them to get the kids picked up.
I don't begrudge the kids getting off. Good for them!
Old 01-29-2015, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

Most elementary kids in the county I live in are walks my daughter has to cross a main 4 lane street that tallest one pedestrian is killed a year crossing. One was killed earlier this year while we were walking my daughter to school. And they where at a cross walk. I think it's more of a delay for walkers then bus here when it is a delay or closing. Also the school systems do not clear the schools very well lots of kids fell the other day when it was ice all in front of the school. We live a good 1/4 mile.from the school the hight school she will go to she will have to walk and its a 1.3 miles from are house and she still has to cross that 4 line road. When I was a kid will be 30 in a couple of weeks we got off or delayed about the same amount of time.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by mounting man View Post
Phil in Maine,The weather you had was a whole different thing.
Yes it is and we have yet another one rolling in our way tomorrow night.. They are saying it maybe stalling just out from the coast here and build up to another big storm. Currently some stations are saying up to 12 inches while others are saying 17+ inches.. One thing is for sure we have had enough of it for now and really do not need anymore of these just yet.. But we are used to snow and will get threw this blast as well. They are claiming the warmer ocean temps are doing this now??? Whatever, they all want to be right about something..
Old 01-30-2015, 05:10 AM
Little Doe Peep

Wink

Originally Posted by mounting man View Post
The era i am saying about was when the school buses belonged to the school district.These were driven by the same folks whom ran our snow plows and graders for winter. The buses were parked in our township garage and these fellows would do what had to be done to them to get the kids picked up.
I don't begrudge the kids getting off. Good for them!
This go me wondering how they drove the school buses and the snow plows at the same time.

When we get enough snow here that requires plowing the streets, it's usually a 16 hour a day proposition. Our street is low priority, so they usually hit us on the third day about 3-4 in the morning.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

We have been getting pounded by snow storms this past week with this area receiving a little over 5 feet of the white stuff and more coming in on Thursday. The storms just keep rolling into here every other day.. I am thinking that there is not many of our wildlife that can move around much as it is all fluffy snow and drifts.. Even snowmobiles and snowshoe goers are having a hard time moving around in this stuff. While I have heard of a few reports of coyote kills on our deer herd I do not think it is that massive right now. I have to wonder if even the coyotes can move around very good in it.. Our last storm is just ending right now so the snow has not yet had a chance to pack in here..

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service