Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
Stop changing your oil every 3,000 miles >

Stop changing your oil every 3,000 miles

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

Stop changing your oil every 3,000 miles

Old 11-25-2012, 08:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Stop changing your oil every 3,000 miles

This backs up what I have known for a very long time. The shorter change period came about due to a marketing ploy and not a mechanical reason. I have always gone by my owners manual of 7500 or more in some cases depending on which of my cars. Both my sedans swim in oil. They have almost half the engine of my expedition yet take over 50% more oil.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop...762858&msite=w
Old 11-25-2012, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

I change mine about every 5K-6K
Old 11-25-2012, 09:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Change mine about every 7500 miles. I use full synthetic and not sure if it makes any difference but that is what I use.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander View Post
Change mine about every 7500 miles. I use full synthetic and not sure if it makes any difference but that is what I use.
Actually it does because it doesn't breakdown like regular oil. You could go much farther between oil changes.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Looks like I could go 10K or better without worrying. I just changed it after the first Colorado trip which put about 6K miles. Leaving in the morning for IL and that will put 3K before I am done. I probably didn't have to change until I got back. Thanks for the tip ...the oil change guys will tell you anything to make sure you keep coming back.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post
Actually it does because it doesn't breakdown like regular oil. You could go much farther between oil changes.
Dirt and carbon still get suspended in it.
4000 miles for me.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

Everyone has their opinion on this subject. Oil is the most important thing for your vehicle, why skimp?

I change my oil every 3k miles with full synthetic. Why? Because It really doesn't cost that much extra and It gives me a piece of mind knowing I wont have failures to do contaminated or insufficient lubrication.

To each his own, but Ive seen way too many engines issues do to people not changing their oil or not using the right type.

(ASE Master Tech)
Old 11-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by OhioNovice View Post
Everyone has their opinion on this subject. Oil is the most important thing for your vehicle, why skimp?

I change my oil every 3k miles with full synthetic. Why? Because It really doesn't cost that much extra and It gives me a piece of mind knowing I wont have failures to do contaminated or insufficient lubrication.

To each his own, but Ive seen way too many engines issues do to people not changing their oil or not using the right type.

(ASE Master Tech)
Well, 406k+ on my 5.4L tells me I'm doing something right.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:10 PM
Spike

I recently went about 11k between changes in my 03 f150. I had the oil and filter just kept forgetting about it. Otherwise I normally change somewhere between 5-7k.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heat is what breaks down oil and synthetics handle the heat better and have a longer life than conventional oils. I use synthetic in my wife's new Malibu and change it according to what the car's computer says. I use conventional oil in my 2002 Chevy S-10 and usually change it every 3,500 to 4,000 miles along with a new filter. It would actually be more economical to use synthetic in it and change it once a year because of the price of AC oil filters. I have always changed all my oils in our vehicles and have never had an issue. We usually keep a vehicle for 10 to 12 years before we replace them and Her 2011 Malibu is only the 8th vehicle we've ever owned in the 40 years we've been married.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.