Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

New Land

Old 07-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Spike

Default New Land

I recently was able to purchase the property in west central PA that I hunted on when I was a kid. The house that my parents owned back then is right next door to this property. One of my sisters and her husband own that house now. The property I just bought still looks about the same as it did years ago with a couple of major exceptions. Number one, there is a ten year old three bedroom ranch at the top of one ridge and number two, right about in the center of the property is a gas well that supplies free gas to heat the house. The house was built in 2002 and the gas furnace was installed in 2008. The house has a full basement and a 40x24 attached garage. There are a total of 91.4 acres which are mostly wooded with mature oak, beech, cherry, maple and eastern hemlock. There is one field of about five acres with a small orchard that was planted at one end of the field about the same time the house was built. The property is triangular in shape with two ridges that run along two sides of the triangle. There is a large valley that runs down the middle of the property with a small stream that runs the length of the property and flows through my sister's land at the bottom and then into a stocked trout stream. During the summer months that same stream is invaded by small mouth bass that come up from the Susquehanna River to spawn. The previous owner is retired and wanted to move to the Carolinas. He said he was tired of dealing with Pennsylvania winters. He completely gave up hunting which is good for me because not only did he sell me my old stomping grounds but he left behind, among other things, an '85 GMC Jimmy with a plow, a snowmobile, an ATV and seven ladder stands scattered about the property.

Oh, when I was there last Saturday evening I saw two bucks and a doe feeding in the field.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations on the land. I recently purchased 56 acres to hunt on. It had three stock tanks, and a couple creeks running through it. It has a lot of deer and hogs on the property. There is also an old farm house and a couple old barns. We are fixing up the house now. There is one really big doe that hangs out close to the house with her fawn that I told people is off limits to shoot. She will see is and run off about 50 yards and them just watch us.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a little piece of archery action heaven.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

COngrats on a great buy! I hope to be able to get a property even half that good someday!
-Jake
Old 08-09-2012, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations...hurry up and buy a Loto Ticket cause Your very Lucky and might as well get some cash to go along with that piece of Heaven!

Take good care of that Land and always strive to improve it and make it better and better each year!
Old 08-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Spike

One of the first things I plan to do is plant a food plot in part of the open field. I may try to have a pond added in the lower corner of the field where a small stream runs through. The last time any of the timber was cut was about 30 years ago and then it was only the big stuff along one of the ridges. That part of the property will probably be ready to cut again in about ten years. The other ridge has not been cut in over 60 years and is due to have some of the bigger trees removed.

Here are a few photos of the house and property:

Old 08-19-2012, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, Enjoy!
Old 08-20-2012, 04:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

All I can say is "SWEET"
Old 08-21-2012, 03:52 PM
Spike

Part of the sales agreement was that the previous owners would have 90 days to move out. They were able to buy a house in SC the week after we closed which meant that they wouldn't need the full 90 days. They move out day after tomorrow and I should start moving some of my stuff in this coming weekend. I also forgot to mention that they left behind window coverings, all of the kitchen and laundry appliances as well as two dehumidifiers, an extra fridge in the basement and a full home security system.