Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
For the golfer on the forum.. >

For the golfer on the forum..

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

For the golfer on the forum..

Old 01-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Example of focus on the golf course:

1947 Masters on the 12th hole Claude Harmon and Ben Hogan were paired together. Harmon knocks it in for an ace. Crowd goes nuts, he goes nuts. Hogan steps up and hits it one foot from the hole. Hogan makes his putt for birdie. They were walking to the next tee and Hogan says to Harmon, I think that's the first time I've birdied that hole and then asks Harmon what he made. Never even knew he made a one.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have to call BS on that one! If you have a low handicap (mine was 2 before I quit for a long time because of a back injury) it's pretty damn hard not to know what you're shooting, LOL!
Old 01-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I never know my exact postition to par during a round. What good does it do you? I have a feel for how I'm hitting it. Sense that I've made a bunch of birdies and not many mistakes (or vice versa). But never know the exact number until I add them up. You play against the golf course not the scorecard.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm with Top gun on this, normally I never keep score especially when I'm playing alone, I usually know how much over I am or how many under I am at any given time. I never get mad about how I shoot I've seen Phil and Tiger shoot in the mid seventies. This is my home course and I know which holes are the ones where I may drop a stroke or pick one up. Everyone has good and bad days, but you really need to understand where I was coming from.

June 6th I had a bad car crash in Bloomington Illinois, I was a passenger in a rental car I was there on a quick business trip, I had to be cut out of the car. I had a skull fracture severe bleeding in the brain and for the week in Neuro-ICU the doctors weren't sure if they would have to do surgery. Both of my jaws and orbital eye socket were broken,.. When I finally got home, I was in a walker and had to learn to walk all over again. I'm still in vestibular therapy, because of my balance, I just started hitting the ball a few weeks ago, and I was pretty proud of myself to be stroking like I was the other day considering that a few months ago, I couldn't even walk, today I have some slurred speech, loud ringing in my head, blurred vision, not to mention I fall at least once a week from being dizzy, but hopefully in March I will be allowed to go back to work.

Fore!

Thanks for the advise, I do appreciate it.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wow! Bless you and get well soon!!!
Old 01-28-2012, 07:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

ewww, I see the wind is going to be real strong from the South on Monday.. Time to hit it again, there are two holes on the course that if the wind is right I can hit over 300.. Makes me feel good, when I do that.

I'm getting stronger everyday, the dizziness is not as bad.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a nice push cart because I got tired of catching up to everyone if me and my dad rode in a cart. I'm teaching him the game, and we still end up pushing people. We never say a word, or hit into them, but I just feel like I'm rushing them. Ive found that by walking, i may be a little more tired at the end of the round, but I focus more on each shot, and just flat out feel better after walking, and can generally take my time if I have a group in front of me, and walk up to my ball, aim, and swing away.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

this is where I am playing this weekend

http://applemountaingolfresort.com/
Old 01-29-2012, 10:50 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I don't golf, but I can relate. Happens to me all the time when shooting 3-D. When it's a group with little kids, it doesn't bother me so much--love to see kids shooting. But, when it's just rude people, it does bug me. I rarely shoot a mixed tournament anymore, because of this scenario:

Guy walks up to the stake. Takes out binos, looks for at couple of minutes. Adjusts scope. Draws, lets down, adjusts. Repeat. Gives us dirty looks because we aren't being absolutely silent. On and on and on.....finally shoots...and pulls out the binos again! What the ????? By the time 5 or 6 in a group do this, I'm not having fun anymore...and if I'm not having fun, what's the point in being there??

Thankfully I know of several "all traditional" tournaments where 99% of the participants are like us--there to have fun--and most have the courtesy to let you "shoot through" if they are moving too slow.

Some of the compound shooters--probably most--are courteous too, but the few bad apples spoil the barrel.

Glad you are getting better Bob--you'll be back up to speed in no time.

Chad
Old 01-30-2012, 04:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by LBR View Post
I don't golf, but I can relate. Happens to me all the time when shooting 3-D. When it's a group with little kids, it doesn't bother me so much--love to see kids shooting. But, when it's just rude people, it does bug me. I rarely shoot a mixed tournament anymore, because of this scenario:

Guy walks up to the stake. Takes out binos, looks for at couple of minutes. Adjusts scope. Draws, lets down, adjusts. Repeat. Gives us dirty looks because we aren't being absolutely silent. On and on and on.....finally shoots...and pulls out the binos again! What the ????? By the time 5 or 6 in a group do this, I'm not having fun anymore...and if I'm not having fun, what's the point in being there??

Thankfully I know of several "all traditional" tournaments where 99% of the participants are like us--there to have fun--and most have the courtesy to let you "shoot through" if they are moving too slow.

Some of the compound shooters--probably most--are courteous too, but the few bad apples spoil the barrel.

Glad you are getting better Bob--you'll be back up to speed in no time.

Chad
Thanks Chad, and also I can relate to people on 3D course. It does drive you wild when you see the way some grown ups conduct theirselves on a course, they are usually the ones too that have the lowest score. On thing I have learned about both golf and archery, you think about it too much you are going to make a bad shot. To me why I think I've done good in both is being consistant each shot; same preshot routine, and mentally see the projectile going to the target.