Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Off Season
What would you do? >

What would you do?

Off Season This is the place to kick back and shoot the breeze.

What would you do?

Old 02-22-2011, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry to hear about the situation. When I was a kid, my parents had to choose to put down my pet dog that was too aggressive -- bit a neighbor girl. I did not fully understand as a child, and held it against my parents for a while, but I understand now.

More recently, we adopted two dogs, and ended up re-homing one of them because of the way they fought. My kids were heart broken too, but since we only had the dogs of a few months, they got over it pretty well. Plus, we get updates on the dog every so often.

It probably feels like you have to choose between your wife's feeling and your own, and it isn't fair. You are expected to be the one who takes the hit.

If it were me, I'd do what it takes to spare my wife any more hurt. I'd try my best to find the dog a good home. But I'd not let it stay in my house -- regardless of how bad it made me feel. If your wife were OK with him becoming an outdoor kennel dog, then so be it. But it doesn't sound like that will be an option.

Good luck to you.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountryextreme View Post
IYour liable for the damage of your animals.
It's not as simple as that. In some cases people have proven that the bite was an isolated incident outside the normal behavior of the animal and the victim may have been at fault to provoke the dog. My point was that even if that happened now, you cannot prove it was an isolated incident and you knowingly possessed a dog that has shown aggressive behavior before.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MN_Deerman View Post
It's not as simple as that. In some cases people have proven that the bite was an isolated incident outside the normal behavior of the animal and the victim may have been at fault to provoke the dog. My point was that even if that happened now, you cannot prove it was an isolated incident and you knowingly possessed a dog that has shown aggressive behavior before.

I see what your sayin
Old 02-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

it is just pack mentality...sorry to hear.
keep the lab, google dog packs, find stories similar to yours, show the wife, and tell her its normal, would she plz brush fido(the blak lab)?
Old 02-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I hate to say it Deerdust since I am a dog lover but what happened isn't a normal behavior for a dog. If it were me I would be thinking about what is important and what isn't. I am not sure I would ever trust the lab again and what would happen if a neighbor’s dog or child met the same fate. The first bite is the dog's fault… the second is the owners.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Tough call but he needs you go. Crossed the line that went to far to return. Take him out back and put him down.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

deerdust,

I feel for you, I am not sure what I would do? I am a dog lover, I have two Golden Retrievers.
You witnessed what happened. Listen to you head and not your heart, is this dog going to be a problem in the future??? Can you trust this dog around children or other dogs?

I have only seen one bad black lab in my life. The one black lab that I do not trust belongs to my father. I was about 30-years old the one time his dog came at me. My dad yelled at the dog and called the dog back away from me. I had already drawn my hunting knife to kill the dog with. His dog did not bit me, had he bit me I would have killed it myself. I am now 43-years old, and I still do not trust that dog.
I told my father he could not ever have that dog around any children.